24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47re not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47re all messed up..help!

OK, well after hoping it was the gov pressure sensor, im out of ideas.

Here is what the truck is doing wrong: dosent hardly want to shif out of 1st or 2nd. I get to an certain RPM and the rpm's go up but the speed does not. I can get it to shift by selecting Neutral and going back down to Drive. It ususally will shift, sometimes it takes a couple times doing that. After shifting into 3rd gear it has no problems shifting into 4th. Reverse is also fine. Truck does find in 1st gear and 2nd gear holding power, it just seeems once I get to the shift point it just gives, wont transfer any more power and wont shift. There were a good ammount of metal shavings in the pan when I dropped it just now.

What ive done: complete transmission service less than 500mi ago (did not fix, they said the bands looked fine ), changed transmission speed sensor (did not fix), checked and cleaned gov pressure sensor (clean as a whistle in there..did not fix).

So im out of ideas guys..what could it be? By now I know its gonna be something expensive.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tx_2500
What ive done: ..... checked and cleaned gov pressure sensor (clean as a whistle in there..did not fix).
So im out of ideas guys..what could it be?
Replace the solenoid....part is about $120.00 (Mine wouldn't shift out of second without backing off throttle). New soleniod solved it. Cleaning is not the answer, IMO.

RJ
Old 06-29-2008, 06:37 PM

before I do, and im not doubting your advice but I have to ask.

Did you truck do like mine in that it would slip after a certain rpm and just bring the rev's up with no increase in speed? That is what really has me puzzled. I cant even get it to shift by simply letting off the throttle. I have to shift into N then back to D.

Also, please confirm. There is a solenoid and a sensor. Which one did you replace?

__________________________________________________ ___________

Just a quick update. I had cleaned the pressure sensor, not the solenoid before. Anyhow, I took a look at the solenoid itself. On the top level the screen was packed full of shavings. The bottom level had none, was completley clean. So I guess fluid flows from the top leve down to the bottom level. Maybe there just wasnt much getting through. I went ahead and ordered a replacement solenoid (overnight). I just wish it wasnt such a PITA otherwise id button it all up and see if my cleaning job fixed everything tonight and save myself the $$
Old 06-29-2008, 07:37 PM

If you have shavings like you described you can save some time and pull the tranny now and overhaul it. If not you will be pulling it later.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 PM

later would be alot better than right now. I know that the shavings are not normal..not trying to kid myself there. However, I need my truck simply as a back up for those days that I need to haul something or on rainy days when I cant ride my motorcycle. If It can make it a while longer that will be more than I could ask for.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Your slip is the transmission shifting to the next gear ( the one that was in the pan and filter). Since the next gear was in the pan and filter it now slips when it makes the shift, if you get the line pressure high enough it will still go for now.
I think you need to find a backup for your truck, before it leaves you stranded.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 PM

So in essence when I experience that "falloff" its really getting stuck between gears? or your saying that gear dosnt have enough material to grab? Or that the line pressure isnt enough? Ill admit, im a total noob when it comes to auto transmissions. If I could afford the down time id swap in a 5 speed right now.

Maybe there is not enough line pressure to get it all the way to grab the next gear. I mean, once it catches it grabs hard and takes off. I guess I need a little more explanation. It seems "to me" that the problem is the shifts themselves, not so much as the gears not having anything to grab. Please speak in "noobish"

I will start looking for a complete backup trans, but just a stocker. I cant afford to pay the same ammount for a trans that I paid for the truck. In the mean time ill be putting the new sensor back in and seeing what that will help. Im in no way discrediting you or your advice...it sounds like you know your stuff, and id like to get a better understanding. Its just im doing all that I can right now before I have to spring big $$
Old 06-30-2008, 12:37 AM

1. The normal amount of metal in pan would be a total amount approx equal to size of a quarter. Did the fluid have many little sparkes(metal) in it? Was the magnet covered with debris that could best be described as the size of a Chocolate Krispy Kreme donut???
2. You describe a shifting issue, not a clutch failure.
3. Get a parts store to read fault codes, Maybe something will show.
4. A general issue for the complaint is Governor pressure solenoid and or governor pressure transducer. Generally only luck will predict which one. My suggestion is replace both and be done with it.
5.there is possibility of wiring issues, and fault code reader migh help figure this one.
6. You might be a couple hundred dollars down with repiars. Consider a performance valve body for just a few dollars more and be done with, along with having better shifiting tranny.
JMHO
Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 AM

"The normal amount of metal in pan would be a total amount approx equal to size of a quarter."

I have to disagree. I never have any metal in my pan. The black on the magnet is clutch material and over time this will happen, but metal is a no no. I have a 4L80E here with metal the size of a quarter in the pan and it does not back up anymore. I will have it apart later and will post what broke and caused the metal in the pan.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by dozer12216
.... A general issue for that complaint is Governor pressure solenoid and or governor pressure transducer. Generally only luck will predict which one. My suggestion is replace both and be done with it.
Good point! I forgot the transducer (pressure sensor)! I got the same advice about "could be either one" and did replace both to fix mine.The transducer, was another $70.00 from Dodge!

My concern was preventative MX and cost of downtime. If you (Tx_2500) are on a tight budget...could try one at a time.

RJ
Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by tx_2500
So in essence when I experience that "falloff" its really getting stuck between gears? or your saying that gear dosnt have enough material to grab? Or that the line pressure isnt enough? Ill admit, im a total noob when it comes to auto transmissions. If I could afford the down time id swap in a 5 speed right now.

Maybe there is not enough line pressure to get it all the way to grab the next gear. I mean, once it catches it grabs hard and takes off. I guess I need a little more explanation. It seems "to me" that the problem is the shifts themselves, not so much as the gears not having anything to grab. Please speak in "noobish"

I will start looking for a complete backup trans, but just a stocker. I cant afford to pay the same ammount for a trans that I paid for the truck. In the mean time ill be putting the new sensor back in and seeing what that will help. Im in no way discrediting you or your advice...it sounds like you know your stuff, and id like to get a better understanding. Its just im doing all that I can right now before I have to spring big $$
Your transmission is making the shift. It sounds like it has a flare before it makes the shift. The flare is the engine reving up while the transmission shifts.This is caused by the clutches having to travel to far, while they are traveling the engine is racing. The metal and material is now flowing around with the fluid getting in everything, including the solenoids, ect making the problems worse. You can change the transducer and solenoid and it will be better. I am just saying stay close to home, your days are numbered.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:12 AM

Yay, guess its time to start looking for a new trans.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM

I have the same problem with my 99!! exactly the same...but it happened after fluid and filter change...none problem bfore that job! where I can find part numbers for the sensors? they are: GOVERNOR SOLENOID, GOVERNOR SENSOR, SPEED SENSOR and others??
Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM

well, to no great surprise the new sensors did exactly diddly! So I guess its off to find a shop to rebuild the thing. It wont shift into 2nd without a great ammount of difficulty. Its gone
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 AM

hi
not goin in to 2nd may just be a band adj ?

did you adjust bands while you were in there ?

if not you can adj the front band from outside case driver side .

back off the nut turn it in 1 turn and test drive it !

Quick Reply: 47re not shifting