Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   !!!! Squirles !!!! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/squirles-325331/)

cougar 06-11-2016 06:17 PM

!!!! Squirles !!!!

Opened the air box on the 01 to check the filter and a squire had moved in.[verymad] Packed the box with insulation it had been pulling out from under the house. It had also been clawing at the filter. Anyone know of a good way to keep them out of there?

sherod 06-11-2016 07:02 PM

install one cat under the hood.

oliver foster 06-11-2016 08:03 PM

I like my .22 or 12 gauge for a pesky squirrel, depending on how much time you might have for hunting.

gorms 06-11-2016 08:15 PM

Moth balls or steel wool works, but they often find another home. My current feline keeps all varmint out of things we own pretty effectively though.

SIXSLUG 06-12-2016 09:44 AM

Both above would be my advice also.

We used to nail plastic snakes to the eaves to keep the swallows and starlings away, might work on squirrel too

cougar 06-12-2016 11:01 AM

Besides my own, there are lots of cats around here. When my cat chases a squirrel, they go straight for one of my trucks to hide where kitty can't reach them. Residential, not a good place to discharge a firearm. Snakes? No such thing in Alaska. Besides, I'd rather have a squirrel ridding shotgun than a snake. Memories of Arizona. Does anyone know where they are getting into the fender? I could block it off with some wire mesh.

oliver foster 06-12-2016 11:43 AM

Well if your a good shot a BB gun will work.
Or a large rat trap?
I hate poison baits with my dogs around.

Moparmax 06-12-2016 01:33 PM

Cougar,
The stock filter housing draws air from the fender well, you could try to weld some steel mesh or screen to the opening.
MM

cougar 06-12-2016 02:19 PM

That's what I want to do. I just need to find the opening they are getting in at.

SIXSLUG 06-13-2016 08:51 AM

Probly behind the fender liner, but IIRC the draw air is from under and behind the right headlamp...

Didn't know they had "residential Alaska "!!!

cougar 06-13-2016 09:53 AM

Almost 1/2 of the states population lives in and around Anchorage. So ya, it's very residential around here.
Found 2 places where they can get into the fender, not easy to plug.

kerry.king 06-13-2016 10:57 AM

How about putting a hot dog under the hood and running leads from the battery too it? Little bigger grand the hot dog and gets a 12v shock! Dunno if that works, I've only heard stories around the camp fire of doing that to racoons

VADSLRAM 06-13-2016 01:17 PM

I use cheapo dryer sheets in my sled during the summer. Sounds silly but I tried everything else from cat pee to mothballs and commercial squirrel be gone and nothing worked until someone on a snow mobile forum told me about the dryer sheets. I just go to the dollar store and buy a couple of boxes, one I open the other I don't and chuck both under the cowl. By the time November rolls around the open box has no smell and the closed one is getting stale...but no nests.

oliver foster 06-13-2016 01:29 PM

That doesn't sounds as fun as shooting them, but it would be easy if it worked!
Thanks for the tip VADSLRAM.

patdaly 06-13-2016 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by cougar (Post 3305893)
Almost 1/2 of the states population lives in and around Anchorage. So ya, it's very residential around here.
Found 2 places where they can get into the fender, not easy to plug.

How about just pop riveting the screen to the inside of inlet of the the airbox?