Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Split topic: Oil Filters (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/split-topic-oil-filters-35835/)

magnum 12-15-2003 10:22 PM

Re:Am I using the wrong oil filter?

Hey guys,

Since we're all in such a fantastic mood 8) 8) I'm seriously thinking of going with the synthetic----amsoil??? anybody point me down the narrow path ??? ???

Dr. Evil 12-15-2003 10:34 PM

[quote author=jigdog link=board=4;threadid=23740;start=15#msg224160 date=1071547740]
dr.This is an information exchange forum. I have given my information from personal experience i am not here to have a debate about warranty satisfaction. that is all.
[/quote]

I know this is an information exchange......Im just pointing out that you will have a very hard time fighting DC over a failed engine...I know this from personal experience. I am well aware of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but am merely saying you would need a very good attorney and a lot of money to fight DC.

Ruralmedic 12-15-2003 11:18 PM

[quote author=Magnum link=board=4;threadid=23740;start=15#msg224173 date=1071548542]
Hey guys,

Since we're all in such a fantastic mood 8) 8) I'm seriously thinking of going with the synthetic----amsoil??? anybody point me down the narrow path ??? ???
[/quote]
AHHH, Amsoil? Looking for a new religion? Just stick with a quality filter. We all know that Baldwin probably makes most of Amsoil's filters, and Exxon/Mobil probably supplies most of their PAO basestocks, and Lubrizol the additive chemistry.......all mixed together in multi-level marketing hype.......been there, done that. Oh, well. Now I know better.

Jones0027 12-16-2003 07:50 AM

Cumminsdude,
Some guys like to DISCUSS [laugh] what is the best oil & filter to use!!! ;) I use the Fleetgaurd microglass filter from Geno's. I usually call them and order over the phone. I get the kit of oil filters, fuel filters and air filter. Love my Cummins. Adios.

Tartarus 12-16-2003 08:05 AM

Just for anyone who is interested -- Champion Labs does design and manufacture the majority of filters sold "off the shelf" in North America -- but they design them according to external specifications. Which means that a Champion-made filter will be of different designs, materials quality, and manufacturing quality, depending on different brands. For example, a Super-Tech from Wally World will have a plasticized cardboard back plate to inhibit mixing dirty oil with filtered oil. An AC Delco will have a metal backing plate. Both are made by Champion.

Stick with the LF 3894 Stratapore and feel as safe as you can. If you can't afford it, you probably can't afford one of these trucks. JMHO. ;)

jlells01 12-16-2003 09:40 AM

Tartarus,

Fram (and re-badged Frams) filters are the ones that have the cardboard endcaps, and even Purolator has started going to them on a few models.

As far as I know, all Champion made SuperTech's use metal.

Tartarus 12-16-2003 01:31 PM

Sorry -- I've seen several Super-Tech's cut open. They all had plasticized paper plates, with bits of glue spattered inside the can and on the filter material pleats. Not only that, but the pleats were uneven, and the can-spring also served as a bypass valve -- not a good design, because the bypass usually will not work with the filter properly seated into the anti-drainback valve.

On the other hand, Champion Labs also makes the Mobil 1 filter line, which is pretty good. Like I said -- your company gives them the specs and price-outs -- they'll make whatever you want. ::)

Dr. Evil 12-16-2003 03:09 PM

[quote author=Tartarus link=board=4;threadid=23740;start=15#msg224522 date=1071603068]
Sorry -- I've seen several Super-Tech's cut open. They all had plasticized paper plates, with bits of glue spattered inside the can and on the filter material pleats. Not only that, but the pleats were uneven, and the can-spring also served as a bypass valve -- not a good design, because the bypass usually will not work with the filter properly seated into the anti-drainback valve.

On the other hand, Champion Labs also makes the Mobil 1 filter line, which is pretty good. Like I said -- your company gives them the specs and price-outs -- they'll make whatever you want. ::)
[/quote]

Yup..........many (read cheap) filters will end up costing you lots in the end...I guess it depends how dangerously you like to live. The companies that are getting the filters made for them dont really care what its made of - they just want a rock bottom price. They know the likelihood of a dissatisfied customer taking them to court is very low...

jigdog 12-16-2003 04:37 PM

magnum.i haven't used the amsoil engine oil but am using the tranny fluid and gear oil.it has lowered my tranny temps by 15-20 degrees and the fluid works beter at lower and higher temps.i have heard a lot of good reports of it here and no bad ones. ;D

KATOOM 12-16-2003 05:21 PM

Any one who cares, read this. scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Shovelhead 12-16-2003 06:20 PM

Check the last line on the webpage. ;)

This page is maintained by XXXXXXXXXXX and was last updated 05/25/99. Comments? Questions? Email

Bottom line:
It's your truck and your choice. ;)

My truck only gets Fleetguard LF3894 filters.

jigdog 12-16-2003 07:47 PM

Beings as we are talking about oil filters if you want to see some side by side comparisons on performance with fleetguard then check their website @ www.baldwinfilter.com i think you will find the comparison interesting. ;D ;D

farmer dave 12-16-2003 08:18 PM

I use a wix filter and have never had any problems. I live on a farm and this is the only kind of filter that we use. It is highly recommended by many parts stores. Also my uncle works for a fuel company and they were using a cheap brand filter until the filter collapside. They had to get the engine rebuilt and cummins told them to run fram, wix, or fleetgaurd I think, so I am not worried about running a cheaper fitler because they are a really good filter. dave

Shovelhead 12-16-2003 08:25 PM

Re:Split topic: Oil Filters

I split this thread as the original question was is this member using the correct Part number Fleetguard oil filter for his truck.

This has morphed into a discussion about many other brands.
No problemo, just keep to the facts and keep it civil.

Ed

Cumminsdude 12-16-2003 08:34 PM

Re:Split topic: Oil Filters

Hey thanks Shovelhead. When I read this again I was like WHAT is going on! Took me a second to realize you renamed it, and then I read your post. Thanks for the answers to my question.