Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Serpentine Belt - Life Expectancy (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/serpentine-belt-life-expectancy-60940/)

RowJ 02-10-2005 02:57 PM

Serpentine Belt - Life Expectancy

Any of you high mileage members have a feel for average life on our drive belts? I originally planned, as preventative Mx, on changing every year or @ 50,000 miles, whichever came first. But mine looks to good to mess with. Got me to wondering how long they last?

RJ

wannadiesel 02-10-2005 03:28 PM

I've removed a lot of fanbelts while killing KDP's. By 120k they look pretty bad. :rolleyes: I wouldn't change it yearly. Look at the thing every oil change, when it starts looking crappy replace it. I've seen some pretty nasty looking belts but they all got the truck to my house.

Commatoze 02-10-2005 03:28 PM

I've got 83,000 miles on mine and it still looks good. But, I have a new one ready to on this Spring. Not going to temp fate.:rolleyes:

ade's ram 02-10-2005 03:52 PM

I changed mine at 50k just to be on the safe side, not so easy to get hold of in a hurry where i live, most timing belts on European/ Japanees cars need replacing at about that milage

ratsun 02-10-2005 07:56 PM

RJ
I just put the first belt on mine today.
118,000km= approx 71,000 miles @ almost 7 years
My alt was not charging so good since I shorted out the oil filter wrench on the hot lead on the back[dummy] So while I was putting it back together I figured I would go ahead and put a new belt on since my old one showed quite a few cracks. I couldnt belive the price of the new one:o Anyway the old one was in tough shape and I think I was running on borrowed time with it. It currently resides under the back seat with all the other RORS ( repair on road side) stuff.

BIGROD 02-10-2005 09:07 PM

Mine looked like it still had the factory belt on it. I changed it at 125000 and had new bearings and brushs put in the alt. The serpentine belts should last 100000 miles if you drive it or til they dry rot, around 7 yrs.

Don't just buy any old cheap belt stay with the good ones like gates, they will last twice as long.

Rodney

Commatoze 02-10-2005 09:39 PM

Hope my new chirps as good as this one does when you shut it down. Man that annoys people. :D

Hemi Cat 02-10-2005 10:10 PM

I leave the belt on until I see glazing or minor cracking. Time and mileage depends on use and type of driving. To check for glazing rub your fingernail accross the grooves, if it digs in it's ok, if it slides it's glazed and time to replace it.

Mopar1973man 02-11-2005 07:41 AM

I changed mine at 50K so I would have to worry about it breaking on me... I'm in the middle of nowhere in Idaho... I got 60 - 120 miles to go for a part store... Also I found out that they don't stock the belt for my truck. I had to order it...:rolleyes: