24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Replaced VP44: Ran Ok, now died and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced VP44: Ran Ok, now died and won't start

Fellas,
Replaced the vp44 in my 01 Dodge this weekend because I was getting no fuel at the injectors even though I had good fuel pressure coming from the lift pump, and was getting good 12v signal at the FPCM plug for the vp44. Bled injectors and truck started and ran fine during a 20 mile test drive. But this morning the truck started, idled for a few seconds, then shut off just like someone turned off the fuel. This is exactly what the last injection pump did, and now I'm wondering WTH kind of electrical problem I have; DTC is 1689. Figure for starters to call Pensacola Diesel and have them test out the core vp44 they should receive this week--maybe there's nothing wrong with it. Again, have good fuel pressure and voltage to the vp44, but no fuel coming out the injectors. Any advice appreciated.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 PM

Have you actually confirmed that you have fuel? My truck had a bad vp44, the dealer replaced it under warranty and it died on the test drive. The first thought was the fuel gauge was wrong and it was out of fuel. They added 10 gallons of fuel and it still would not start. I am good friends with the owner of the dealership and went to help diagnose. I found good fuel pressure on the gauge but it was only air, no fuel. I had a bad fuel module and at 1/2 tank or less it only sucked air. I used clear tubing to diagnose this. The other option would be a bad computer. They make a tool to plug in and replace the computer to test this. Finding someone other than the dealer that has one might be tricky.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
RCW

P1689 means there is no communication between ECM & Injection Pump Module.

The usual cause is a failed pump module internal to the VP44, but the use of the power enhancers that have the power tap that requires you cut into the wire to the injection pump can also be the source of the trouble.

A bent or corroded connector or bad ECM or PCM socket can also be the cause, as can a broken wire.

I disconnect the battery ground cables, and use a RF signal generator and trace the wires to find any breaks or corroded connectors. The ECM and PCM sockets have to be visually checked by removing the modules.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Gauged the fuel pressure to vp44 the old fashioned way: loosened the supply banjo fitting at the vp44, bumped the starter, and watched fuel spray out. So fuel gets to the IP, it just doesn't come out of it.

Reading in the service manual (page 8E-15) that if the PCM doesn't receive a crankshaft position signal within 3 seconds of cranking the engine, then it shuts down the fuel injection system. That pretty much was my experienced before I R&R the IP, then again this morning. Yet why would it start even once after installing a new IP if either the PCM or crankshaft sensor were bad? Ran the thing for 20 minutes yesterday up and down the highway without an issue.

Have a $1000 in an IP right now, and don't feel any closer to the solution.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:54 PM

RCW,
Haven't tapped into any wires, but the thought of a bad ground has crossed my mind. We used to shoot aircraft wires with a TDR, but I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those gizzmos in my garage; however, meter works just as well for samll wire runs.

Eyeballed the ECM while installing the IP, but where exactly is the PCM located? Service manual says "PCM is located in the engine compartment." Seems like they wrote that description a little narrow, maybe "somewhere on the truck" would be a better answer.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
PCM is on the pass. side firewall, right behind the air filter.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM

My understanding is VP44 will run if has 12 v and ground. Not good mind you, but run. Dealer has a tool that allows that. If it idles with this tool than VP is probablly good and need to look at wiring. The ECM on left side of engine is nearly bulletproof compared to VP44 and wiring. The PCM is not in picture to any extendt for running of VP44.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM

This doesn't make sense. When this sucker originally quit in the parking lot at work, it fired up for maybe 3 seconds then died. I checked first and made sure I had fuel at supply side of vp44, then I cracked an injector line at the head and saw nothing. I then made sure relay was good, and wiggled all the wires------got nothing. Cranked it several times after it was towed home, still got nothing. Then I throw a new pump on, and glory be, fuel at the injector lines on the head after a short crank. Fired right up after bleeding the air out, and I test drive for a half hour. Next morning, it starts, idles for 3 seconds then dies exactly the same as before.

It isn't the 50 plug pin on the ECM, took that box off tonight and that connection looks as new as day one. Doesn't mean the board inside the ECM is good, but the wires, ground, and plug look fine.

Waiting for Pensacola Diesel to test my old pump, they should have received it today.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:45 AM

dozer12216,

This taken from Tom R 's thread:

"Dad had the same problem with his, The Dodge dealer hooked their inj pump tester up and the truck would start and Idle(that is all the tester is designed to do) They ended up replacing the ECM (not the Engine ECM, the one on the passengers side firewall) and it fixed his problem."

What he's talking about is the PCM.

Service manual gives conflicting statements on PCM. Pg 8E-13 states PCM "does not control fuel sysytem" in bold. Then on Pg 8E - 15 it states "PCM monitors the crankshaft position sensor...and if PCM doesn't receive signal from sensor within 3 seconds of cranking the engine, it will shut down the fuel injection system."

The latter bit about shutting engine down in 3 seconds is pretty identical to what I experienced--twice, with different vp44s.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Did you check relay? also load test power feed at injection pump with headlight bulb to place a load on circuit. Also if you have access to scanner check for RPM signal from injection pump when cranking engine.

INJECTION PUMP (DIESEL) - 9 WAY CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 K240 20BK DATA LINK (-) FUEL INJECTION PUMP
2 K242 20WT DATA LINK (+) FUEL INJECTION PUMP
3 - -
4 K44 18VT/OR LOW IDLE SELECT
5 K45 18LB/RD FUEL SHUT-OFF SIGNAL
6 Z12 14BK/TN GROUND
7 A40 14RD/LG FUEL PUMP RELAY OUTPUT
8 K48 18DG FUEL INJECTION PUMP SYNC SIGNAL
9 - -
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 AM

BigIron,
Yes, swapping relays was one of the first things I did.

Here's the latest: removed ECM yesterday and inspected wiring & plug, looked fine. Sanded mounting bosses to make sure had good ground connection; did same for PCM ground strap and battery to frame (all looked in good shape). Reinstalled all, then cleared stored code (1689) on ECM with OBD II scanner. Cranked starter and Hallelju, had fuel coming out the #1 injector line I had loosened at the head--so fuel solenoid was now letting fuel come out vp44. Bled the lines a little and truck fired right up. Made a couple short test drives, always coming back to the driveway, turning it off/restarting, etc. Wasn't confident at all that this was the fix, but itstarted every time.

This morning it started, ran for 3 seconds, then died identical to the other scenarios. However, it did not trigger any DTCs.

Back to square one...strongly believe the ECM or PCM is causing this.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 PM

ECM and PCM tested ok. Reinstalled and truck wouldn't start at all. Finally cried uncle and had truck towed to the D-ship.

Will certainly report how this story ends.... (hint, my wallet gets thinner to the tune of $90/hr)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 PM

I have the same problem.
How did you fix it?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
You might want to mention the details of your truck to get more of an informed answer!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 PM

Angry

I was looking for a response from chaser 10 since I have all the symptoms he has already mentioned.
They are-
2000 ram 2500 Cummins 5.9-234k miles
no fuel coming out injector lines
replaced vp44, still very little fuel coming out cracked injector lines
fuel line pressure just before vp44 is 17psi
wont start
pin on vp44 has voltage
checked ecm and pcm
only code is p1693
still wont start
Please help!
Thanks!