24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dead in the Water

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead in the Water

I've got a 1999 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 5 speed. It's had the 53 block, cracked, then replaced the block and went ahead and rebuilt the engine. Truck ran amazing for the first few weeks, then the transmission blew up. One new transmission later and its running great again. This was a couple about two months ago. Two weeks ago as I'm driving up and down some hills the VP44 takes a **** on me. Just got the truck back from the shop Saturday and bought a Smarty S03 from a friend who used it on his 01 Dually. Went to tune my truck with it and it said it was still vin locked to his. No problem, go to his house, unlock it from his truck, put it back on mine and try to tune again. An error message scrolled across the screen that went something like "An error has occurred, press > to install the stock tune," so I did. Afterwards it completed and said to turn key off and unplug, which I did. Then i turned my key back on, plugged the Smarty in, and attempted to install a tune. Pressed 1 for ECM/ABS update, 1 for ECM update, then 1 again for Connect Truck. It said "connecting truck" "Turn key off >" "Turn key on >" "Connecting Truck" and would continue this process over and over again. I tried starting the truck. All the lights came up like normal except for the WTS light, which is usual for my truck because if it doesn't come on immediately it does after all the other lights go off. So I waited, and waited, and waited. The WTS light never came on. So i started cranking thinking maybe i missed it. No fire. Would crank rapidly like it should but never fire. I have no idea what I've done or the Smarty's done. I've tried disconnecting the batteries for over an hour and trying again. Still nothing, even with the Smarty. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. This is my daily driver so you can see why it bothers me being down so much here recently.

Last edited by TwinTurbskies; 02-13-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: missed a couple things
Old 02-14-2018, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Reach out to Smarty and talk to them about what you have going on. They stand behind their products and are really good with support.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reached out to the guys at Smarty, they understood the problem and quickly took care of me. They sent a recovery file for my truck and told me step by step how to recover it, started just fine. Guess my truck had a tune from a different tuner at some point and that caused a problem with the Smarty? Who knows, I'm just happy to have it running again!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!