Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Rear End Noise (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/rear-end-noise-300084/)

01RAMer 02-01-2012 11:25 AM

Rear End Noise

Since it has been cold, I've noticed not really a grinding, but more like a rubbing of metal on metal or a whirling sound.

A couple of years back I replaced the U-Joints and the Carrier Bearing. About a month ago after heading this, I replaced the wheel bearings on both sides thinking that was the problem.

Any ideas what it might be?

oldkimmer 02-01-2012 02:12 PM

.......pinion bearings?.............kim.....

gorms 02-01-2012 04:46 PM

I've had bad luck with carrier bearings, if it's a few years old theres a good chance it's gone dry, they don't seal well and take a beating. I spray white lithium in it at every oil change, not sure if it helps yet but I've got the last one beat that went out after 15k miles.

Could always jack up the rear end and let everything roll, might help identify where it's coming from. Sounds can project themselves, especially with an empty tin can for a bed!

01RAMer 02-02-2012 11:17 AM

Thanks for the help!! I'll jack it up and see if I can locate. Without weight and pull on the wheels, I wonder if I'll be able to tell. Wish me luck.

Homestead 02-02-2012 01:41 PM

How is the CV joint on the front driveshaft? Being it's right below your seat, the noise tends to be hard to pin point.

I see your 4wd and if it's like usual on these trucks, the joint is on the way out.

It will make the same "whiring" noise as you describe. Mines been rebuilt 3 times in the last 200,000 miles and it's sounding like number four is not to far away.

Easy to pull the front shaft and see if the noise goes away.

Jeff

dodgeguy71 02-02-2012 06:03 PM

Get some oil and silicone and pull the rear cover, grab a flashlight and check it out. Have seen some broken teeth at a buddies shop. You can see quite a bit and at least it will ease your mind!

01RAMer 02-06-2012 12:05 PM

dodgeguy71, had the pumpkin cover off last summer when I changed to Royal Purple Oil. Didn't see anything at the time. I pulled the fill plug and there is metal on the magnet. I had cleaned it when I changed oil. If it's a bearing I don't think I would see anything. I have a stethoscope, so I'll try jacking it up and running it while listening, probably in a couple of weeks. Thanks again to all for your sugestions.

kslongrider 02-09-2012 02:44 PM

Just started hearing a growl in mine that got progressively louder as I went through the gears. Of course we were 700+ miles from home with a trailer load of horses. Carrier bearing was sloppy so replaced it in a parking lot. Still had the noise. Pulled the rear differential cover and got a handful of gear pieces!!
Caught a ride home and went out with the V10 and a quick home made towbar and brought it back to the shop. Looks like a rearend swap this weekend.