Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Rear crankshaft seal (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/rear-crankshaft-seal-143141/)

mvanhelden 03-23-2007 07:19 PM

Rear crankshaft seal

I'm changing my clutch and noticed that my rear crankshaft seal is seeping just enough for a little clutch dust to stick, is this normal? I bought a seal kit, but need info on how to replace it, i got a manual but dosn't show any photos. I know you drill two holes, put a couple screws in it and pry it out right? i'm pretty mechanically inclined but never done this! You guys have any tips or tricks to do this?

mvanhelden 03-24-2007 05:57 PM

No one's replaced one? I bought the kit from Kragen, hope it's of good quality[dummy] , should of been here two days ago but it hasn't cam in yet [verymad]

PourinDiesel 03-24-2007 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by mvanhelden (Post 1423594)
I'm changing my clutch and noticed that my rear crankshaft seal is seeping just enough for a little clutch dust to stick, is this normal? I bought a seal kit, but need info on how to replace it, i got a manual but dosn't show any photos. I know you drill two holes, put a couple screws in it and pry it out right? i'm pretty mechanically inclined but never done this! You guys have any tips or tricks to do this?

Looks like you nailed it. The new kit will come with a depth and installing tool.

mvanhelden 03-24-2007 07:00 PM

thanks Pourindiesel!

Tate 03-24-2007 07:32 PM

You can also remove the seal housing and work it on the bench. Remove the starter, and the 6 bolts holding the bellhousing adapter to the block. Behind that is the seal housing. 8 small bolts and out it comes. Remember to keep the plastic ring in it until you have it back on the crank, then remove it. I didn't do that, now it leaks worse than before.[duhhh]

mvanhelden 03-24-2007 07:48 PM

If i take the housing off the block, how do i seal it against the oil pan? Maybe some high temp rtv? How fragile is the housing? i heard it cracks easy?

PourinDiesel 03-24-2007 08:36 PM

If you take the seal housing off you are just about gauranteed to rip the oil pan gasket.
Of course that can be replaced by pulling the motor up or you can just squirt in some liquid duct tape!

Dieseldude4x4 03-24-2007 09:11 PM

And if I rememebr right, the seal is to be installed dry.

mvanhelden 03-24-2007 09:36 PM

It says in the manual to use a little soapy water if needed? I'm not going to remove the housing, I bought some #10 sheet metal screws and a 3mm drill bit, Just waiting on the seal, Kragen said it was an over night order and it's been 3 days! [verymad]

torquefan 03-24-2007 10:57 PM

Sounds like you're on the right track, they're pretty easy. The only worry is gouging anything with the drill bit or screws, but I've done dozens without trouble. I make a habit of changing the seal whenever I've got a clutch apart, simply to prevent having to go back in there if it starts leaking soon after.

mvanhelden 03-25-2007 05:15 AM

If the rear main were to leak would it get on the clutch or just drip out the slit at the bottom?

Dieseldude4x4 03-25-2007 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mvanhelden (Post 1425479)
If the rear main were to leak would it get on the clutch or just drip out the slit at the bottom?

Yes...........

mvanhelden 03-25-2007 11:12 AM

Thanks for the help guys i will give her a shot when the seal comes in!