24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ram 1500 diesel swap.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the input everyone.

I guess the only reason for building this would be the difference factor.
To see a 1500 rolling down the road and then ho hear the distinctive engine sounds of the diesel, that to me would be quite the thing.
Add a diecend exhaust too, and i'm done.

My truck is a daily driver for me, with the complete lack of any towing or off road. I guess I fall into the category of the average truck owner, never sees off road except maybe for when i end up in the sand pits riding dirt bikes.

I think the challenges of the project would be pretty unique and interesting.
I have an empty stall in my garage, I have to fill it up with something.

The advice on swapping all the gearing/axles to 2500 is absolutely correct, no point teraing stuff apart, then having to replace it.

As far as the parts necessary, i'm fortunate enough to have two of my very good friends to be wrecking yard owners in my town. So access to any used parts or whole donor wehicles has never been a problem.

It seems, as I read on more and more on this subject, more people are supportive and would try this themselves, if they had the right circumstances.
I believe to me this alone is interesing enough to try.

Once again thanks for the comments of support, and once the parts search and gathering is over, i'll start posting the progress photos, if anyone is intersted.

JR
Old 10-23-2006, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have installed a 5.9 cummins in four half-tons chevy vehicles, now I do feel like the chevy 1/2 is a better drivetrain than the Dodge 1/2 at least from 1988 to 2002, but I put a 5.9 in my 1987 1/2 ton truck and have ragged on it hard(have not done any towing) and those spinly little axles with 3.08:1 gears have held up just fine. More power to ya!(no pun intended ha ha)
Old 10-23-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea, but only for the possibility of having a short-bed regular-cab diesel. I like the looks of a shortbed regularcab 4x4 and have had two myself. A 1999 1500 sport 4x4 and a 2002 1500 sport 4x4. I would love to swap a complete drivetrain(front and rear axles, trans, t-case, engine, etc.) into a 2nd gen 1500 shortbed regcab.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 PM

i would do what gatorram said and call jeff garmon. i think he has built many of the 1500/12valve conversions. i have seen two of them in person...top notch! the one he built for joe at suncoast is unreal! i almost had him build one for me but i wanted something turnkey that i could get in and drive home. he said it would be a 3-4 month build time, price was pretty attractive for a turnkey truck with 500-600hp. call him and he will tell you what will hold and what will not. as far as i know on a two wheel drive the entire driveline is holding (with of course a built trans) with traction bars and a locker! can you say super sleeper??
Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 AM

Dont Be An Idiot

If You Hunt You Can Buy A 98.5+ 24v For 15 To 20k. That Motor Is Too Heavy And You Would Need All The Computers And Wiring To Make It Work. Not!!!

Forget It For A Driver

Jim
Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The heck with the nay sayers, I say go for it. Just for the reason of having something different that you put together yourself. If its a daily driver and you don't mod it, I'd leave the drivetrain alone. With no towing it would probably hold fine and get great fuel mileage as well.

Now if you drive like me and turn the power up, you're gonna want to start with the 2500 axles and upgrade from there once you've broken them...

I'd love to have a reg cab 3rd gen 2wd with a common rail in it, heck I may do that swap next...
Old 06-10-2016, 10:44 PM

Its easy

Originally Posted by kprc51
Morning All,
New to the board. I currently own a 2001 ram 1500 sport. For a while now I've wanted a Dodge diesel but the prices here are outrageous.
I do have access to wrecked/salvaged Dodge trucks as well as my technical knowledge in doing conversion work and repairs is I would say better than average. Never a full truck conversion though.
I believe the gimmick if having a Cummins diesel between the frame rails of a 1500 Sport Offroad would really be something unique. And to be perfectly honest, I truly would enjoy this kind of a project.

So here is the $30,000 question. Has any one done a Cummins Diesel drivetrain swap into a 1500?
The wiring or any of the fabrication isn't my concern, the biggest thing at this point, would be the physical dimensions of the engine/trans/transfer case assembly. Also any front end weight/ ride height issues.
There was a cover story in last issue of Diesel Power where a guy dropped a Cummins into a Dodge power wagon, most of you propably have read it.
No towing would be involved, so i'm confident the front and the rear gearing should be up to the torque, I hope.

Any input or comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks all,
JR
I just finished my build. The chassis are identicle. Everything went right in the hole. I thought it was gonna be a pain in the *** but it really wasnt. Didt even have to change the coil springs on the front. Its only about a 300 lb difference. Thats like having an extra person riding with you. I went from an 01 2500 long bed to a 01 1500 shortbed. Changed the wiring harness and used the dash out the 2500 and it was good to go. Had the trucks completely stripped and put back together and running in a week. Hopefully you have a lift cause you'll need it. 😂 good luck with your build
Old 06-11-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ryan Spires, that's awesome man
Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 PM

Swap

Originally Posted by Ryan Spires
I just finished my build. The chassis are identicle. Everything went right in the hole. I thought it was gonna be a pain in the *** but it really wasnt. Didt even have to change the coil springs on the front. Its only about a 300 lb difference. Thats like having an extra person riding with you. I went from an 01 2500 long bed to a 01 1500 shortbed. Changed the wiring harness and used the dash out the 2500 and it was good to go. Had the trucks completely stripped and put back together and running in a week. Hopefully you have a lift cause you'll need it. 😂 good luck with your build
Hey bud I’m doing a 24 valve swap into my 03 dodge 1500 and was wondering if you or know anyone would know how to mount it