24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

strange ps & pb problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM
chg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange ps & pb problem

Here's the deal:
- this past winter my 02 started leaking ps fluid
- I went through a couple bottles over probably three months
- this past Saturday I make a trip down the street and the steering is a little hard as well as the brake pedal and the ps pump is whining a little like they do when running low
- monday morning I go to leave for work and I have no power assist in the steering or the brakes "I litterally can't turn the wheel or depress the brake pedal"
- the ps pump reservior is full so I replace the pump
- nothing changes
- I checked for flow with the truck running at the return line from the steering gear and there is nothing
- I check for flow where the high pressure line connects to the hydroboost and I have nothing
- I check for flow at the high pressure line directly out of the ps pump itself and I have nothing
- so I removed the pump and vac pump adapter to inspect
- the vacuum pump looks good and turns with the engine
- is it really possible that my ps pump went bad and then I got bend new ps pump that was bad as well or is there something that I might be over looking? Everyting went together well when I put the new one in.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
when you installed the new pump did you line up the drive key in the vac pump or is the key broken? sounds like the P/S pump aint turning
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 PM

I had the same problem with my 02. Replaced the pump, no change, gear box, no change, Hydroboost, no change. I searched for threads that addressed this problem and found one that others have tried. I don't have the thread handy but its easy enough to find. it shows the removal of the pressure valve on the reservoir tank where the high pressure line is attached and cleaning it, then stretch the spring before putting it back together and re-install. It worked for mine. you might have to add a washer, its all in the thread.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
chg

Thanks to anyone who had input. Turns out the reman pump was bad! I installed another pump and it worked.