Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Power loss going down the road. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/power-loss-going-down-road-329907/)

glmoore0001 03-03-2018 11:02 PM

Power loss going down the road.

Flew from Chicago to Portland Oregon and bought a 2001 Ram Diesel 4x4 Auto Tranny. 188k Miles. Fass lift pump, not sure which model lift pump is installed. Stock gauges only, lift pump pressures and turbo temps unknown. Not pulling a load.

Driving thru Oregon in the mountains.
4000-5000 ft elevation.
Truck had run fine for 500miles with no problems.

Doing 85 mph on interstate. Cruise Control on. Pushed pretty hard on gas to pass a slower vehicle and there was a stumble, total loss of power. Let off the fuel and power came back. Tried again, same thing. It happened three different times. The vehicle threw codes ....
P Pcu
P0500
P1693

P Ecu
P1689
P1693
P0562
P0230

I did not try pushing above 85mph after that.
Cruise control malfunctioned until truck was shut off later. Cruise then came back.
The truck ran normally after the problem occurred although I did not push it again.

I accessed the codes by manipulating the key switch. After I was done, the check engine light went off and never came back.
I have never had codes disappear without manually resetting with a code reader, it happened this time though.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Thanks. Gary Moore

glmoore0001 03-06-2018 05:37 AM

Replies?

Anyone have an idea where I should begin looking?

AlpineRAM 03-06-2018 07:04 AM

P0500 Vehicle speed sensor - this shuts down the cruise
P1693 An Error code to show that there is one or more error codes present

P1689 No communication between PCM and injection pump
P0562 System voltage low
P0230 Fuel pump circuit out of range

I'd start by checking the batteries and the alternator, checking the grounds and the battery wires and connections.
Then I'd clear the codes and try it again. (Maybe some of the codes are still present because the truck had been jump started due to an empty battery)
I'd also check if the FASS pump is on a relay- if yes, the P0230 is normal, it takes much less power from the ECM to trigger the relay than to drive the pump. (If no relay, please use one, otherwise you kill your ECM with the bigger draw from the FASS)

glmoore0001 03-06-2018 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM (Post 3345086)
P0500 Vehicle speed sensor - this shuts down the cruise
P1693 An Error code to show that there is one or more error codes present

I'd also check if the FASS pump is on a relay- if yes, the P0230 is normal, it takes much less power from the ECM to trigger the relay than to drive the pump. (If no relay, please use one, otherwise you kill your ECM with the bigger draw from the FASS)

So is the speed sensor fault an indication that the speed sensor is going bad? Is this different than the throttle position sensor? Where is that located if you know/

If the Fass is hooked up to the stock fuel pump relay, it that ok?

thanks.. Gary

AlpineRAM 03-07-2018 12:46 AM

Vehicle speed sensor is on top of the rear differential- sometimes they are full of sludge (they are magnetic and look into the differential to count teeth), sometimes the wires are chafed or broken.
(Search from the center of the rear axle towards the drivers side of the frame- the wires are a twisted pair in some kind of protective covering)

The stock lift pump is powered by the ECM, not by a relay. The way it should be is:
The plug that supplied the stock lift pump drives the coil of a relay that switches a +12V from the battery to the FASS pump.

glmoore0001 03-07-2018 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM (Post 3345122)
Vehicle speed sensor is on top of the rear differential- sometimes they are full of sludge (they are magnetic and look into the differential to count teeth), sometimes the wires are chafed or broken.
(Search from the center of the rear axle towards the drivers side of the frame- the wires are a twisted pair in some kind of protective covering)

The stock lift pump is powered by the ECM, not by a relay. The way it should be is:
The plug that supplied the stock lift pump drives the coil of a relay that switches a +12V from the battery to the FASS pump.

Ok.. I understand that, so does that mean the stock lift pump does not use the fuel pump relay at all? Or is that used by the IP?

Thank you for helping me understand.. Gary

AlpineRAM 03-07-2018 08:30 AM

The relay powers the IP.
Stock: The ECM powers the "weak" lift pump .
FASS OK : The ECM switches a relay for the "strong" pump
FASS DEADLY: The ECM tries to power the big FASS pump with it's own circuit..