24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pacbrake/exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacbrake/exhaust brake

Can someone enlighten me on how the Pacbrake works on our beloved CTD's? Being a first time diesel (truck) owner I'm looking into anything that will increase the margin for safety while pulling our camper on vacation. This truck seems to have ZERO hold back on down grades which probably will increase the pucker factor many times over.<br><br>I'd like to know what it's like to install.<br>Is it expensive?<br>Is it hard on the engine?<br>Is it noisy?<br><br>Thanks Guys for any input.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:49 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Re:Pacbrake/exhaust brake

I can only speak from my installation, which is a manual trans. So I didnt have to worry about the torque convertor. You would and I dont know how that is done. But just to answer your questions, the installation part was easy if you have a torque wrench. It required me to remove the elbow on the turbo, replacing it with a new one that had the brake built in. Then running a few vaccum lines and the electrical harness. The hardest part was running a clean installation of the shifter switch in the cab. Price was around $600 but now they are around $800. No it is not hard on the engine but it will dirty your IAT sensor. It does slow down EGT cool down time, so if you dont have gauges you could shut down at very hot temps. It does though speed up warm up time and keeps the motor temps warm during idling. Makes you exhaust hiss. Yes it is loud and you can hear it inside and out side the cab. I have only driven in an auto with one and it seemed to work a little different than mine. But I will say that I wouldn't tow with out one. This is where it really shines. Its amazing how little you need to use your brakes.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Pacbrake/exhaust brake

I've got a Jacobs/Mopar/Cummins unit that I use contantly - Its covered under the same warranty that the engine is covered under and it does not us microswitches that can get out of adjustment. Its wired directly into the ECM. It can be had for a steal - $550 when I bought mine from Mechanicsville Dodge http://www.mechanicsvilledodge.com/