24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P0341 no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0341 no start issue

I am having some no start troubles recently. I had a p1698 code with a p0341 code after changing out my ecm which we though was shot and appears not. .
So I changed the cam sensor and put in a new one from mopar. (pain in the A-- to change), So crossed my fingers and toes . No luck Its a no start still .
Erased the codes tried to start again . I only have the p0341 code and a still a no start !! any thoughts please!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Double check your codes please. I think you have a 1689 code, not a 1698 code.

A bad camshaft position sensor (CPS) will NOT keep the truck from starting. This is because the VP44 injection pump is gear driven by the camshaft, so the base timing is fixed. Plus the VP44 computer can operate on its own in the absence of the CPS signal, since it also has it's own internal sensor.

A bad CPS sensor will keep a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke from starting, but its injection system is much different than ours. And it's the only pickup truck diesel engine that I know of that a bad CPS will prevent from starting.

A bad CPS sensor on our trucks will have much different symptoms. On a GAS engine Ram, the PCM will shut down the engine, since the PCM also runs the engine, and needs the CPS signal for injector and ignition timing. On the diesel Rams, the ECM/VP44 runs the engine, and the PCM operates the transmission (automatic) and auxiliary truck functions like the cruise control, A/C, alternator, etc. Without the CPS signal, the PCM will think that the engine is not running. Since it thinks the engine is not running, the alternator output will be disabled, the tach will not work, and the A/C compressor clutch will be disabled.

ECM's do go bad, but that is extremely rare.

Reason I asked about the codes earlier, is that the 1698 is a transmission code. 1689 is "No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module ". That is a bad code to have, and usually means the VP44 computer died. Sometimes the connections can get loose between them and cause this, but not very often. A transmission problem won't cause a no start problem, but a comms problem between the ECM and VP44 can.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 AM

J.R. Thank you for clarifying a few things .I did have the codes backwards . I have been at these for a couple of weeks off and on. To get to the point right now the ecm I presently have in the vehicle seems to be the wrong year . the yard I got it from said it would work on my 99 . But after my research after the fact It wont .My truck is a 99 5 spd.
good news is that I have a new cam sensor.

You mentioned the vp44 computer . I have Hotwired the vp44 and it fires right up that is why we think its the ecm. I cant seem to find anyone that can bench test the ecm. And No one knows who can.
John
Old 06-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Administrator

What was your old ECM doing that you thought it was bad?

Hotwired VP44? Are you doing the hot wire test from Blue Chip Diesel's website where you put 12 Volts and ground to the pump and see if it will start and idle?

VP44 Diagnostic
Old 06-05-2016, 09:06 PM

Yes I did
Old 06-06-2016, 09:06 AM

J.R. That is exactly what I did , So process of elimination is what I am doing . The pump works starts right away .And idles .
So that can be the only other thing it could be.
At the end of the cab swap we put in the 98 dash cluster in the 99 dash
wiring lights went stupid and the relays on the fender were rattling hard , So I changed the cluster back to the 99 and changed the relays as well . I then started the truck and it stalled after 5 seconds engine light came on tried to start it again and it wouldn't start .So I can only assume I fried the ecm .

{FYI this truck was running during and after the cab swap) .
Old 06-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Two clear signs that the ECM isn't working correctly are the Wait to Start (WTS) light will act up, and the lift pump may not work.

The WTS light is the only one on the entire dashboard that is controlled by the ECM. All of the other lights are controlled by the PCM. The WTS light should light up immediately when the ignition is turned on for at least 2 seconds, 10 seconds at 59º and below, 30 seconds at 32º and below. If the WTS comes on later or not at all, that's a sign that the ECM is having issues. Same thing with the lift pump, since that is driven directly by the ECM.

The PCM could have a hand in this too, since it controls every other function of the truck except the engine. Try swapping the PCM's between trucks and see what you can find.

I would also check fuse 9 in the fuse box on the left hand side of the dashboard, the door must be open to access that fuse box.. That is the fuse for the fuel injection system. If that fuse is blown or missing, the engine will not start.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:26 PM

J.R. I have always had an issue with the wait to start I has not worked for

years . When we had the dash out we thought it was a bulb but it was good . I changed it while I was there . it still it not working ,as for the fuse and relays all have been checked and double checked . As for a pcm I don't have one to swap out .
Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 cummins no start.

I have 2001 cummins 3500 6 speed. I just replaced the vp44 with a 24 month warranty from thoroughbred diesel and it won't start. It has fuel to the injectors and 12.12 volts at the vp44 connector. The truck only starts by hot wiring the vp44. Showing code 0341 and 1689. All fuel lines are primed. Has 211000 miles Also has an airdog that is pumping 15 PSI. Please help.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 cummins no start.

Originally Posted by Esequiel
I have 2001 cummins 3500 6 speed. I just replaced the vp44 with a 24 month warranty from thoroughbred diesel and it won't start. It has fuel to the injectors and 12.12 volts at the vp44 connector. The truck only starts by hot wiring the vp44. Showing code 0341 and 1689. All fuel lines are primed. Has 211000 miles Also has an airdog that is pumping 15 PSI. Please help.
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Two clear signs that the ECM isn't working correctly are the Wait to Start (WTS) light will act up, and the lift pump may not work.

The WTS light is the only one on the entire dashboard that is controlled by the ECM. All of the other lights are controlled by the PCM. The WTS light should light up immediately when the ignition is turned on for at least 2 seconds, 10 seconds at 59º and below, 30 seconds at 32º and below. If the WTS comes on later or not at all, that's a sign that the ECM is having issues. Same thing with the lift pump, since that is driven directly by the ECM.

The PCM could have a hand in this too, since it controls every other function of the truck except the engine. Try swapping the PCM's between trucks and see what you can find.

I would also check fuse 9 in the fuse box on the left hand side of the dashboard, the door must be open to access that fuse box.. That is the fuse for the fuel injection system. If that fuse is blown or missing, the engine will not start.