Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   oil in turbo... is this bad? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/oil-turbo-bad-47323/)

00turbo 07-10-2004 07:32 PM

oil in turbo... is this bad?

I was changing my air filter today and i noticed where the silencer ring used to be there is a littl e bit of oil covering that area... barely enough to get your hand wet if you wipe it off but it covers that area. I was just wondering if this was a problem?

RowJ 07-11-2004 08:33 AM

Depends on what type air filter you have. If a stock (dry) filter, it could be a concern. Remove you air intake and see how much "play" you have in your turbo shaft, from side to side. Should not be more than about 1/16", but there will always be some. If not too much play and blades are free wheeling when you spin them, I would just check it @ 500 miles to see if problem grows.
If After market, oiled air filter, not a concern. Oil coming from filter. Make sure you have not over oiled - a common mistake.

RJ

CoastalDav 07-12-2004 01:46 PM

Just for Info, the only time I ever saw oil in my turbo was just after the Map Sensor blew. The truck stumpled real bad and sounded like everything was in the air box.

It was on the fins and around the silencer ring. Cleaned it all up and have not seen it again.

Dave

Dr. Evil 07-12-2004 03:17 PM

what kind of air filter are u using??

Monty 07-12-2004 08:53 PM

Was it air filter oil or motor oil? It is not uncommon at all for a turbo to seep oil due to long idle periods.

ramcummins 07-13-2004 02:49 PM

for those who didn't read his sig. He is using a BHAF :) Is there a BHAF that uses oil?

Dr. Evil 07-13-2004 03:25 PM

Originally posted by ramcummins
for those who didn't read his sig. He is using a BHAF :) Is there a BHAF that uses oil?
no, but he could have changed his filter without updating his signature OR could be asking for a friend. [eyecrazy]

RowJ 07-13-2004 03:28 PM

Some members seem to refer to any exposed, conical, heat shielded air filter as a BHAF. Was just trying to be sure.

RJ

ramcummins 07-14-2004 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
no, but he could have changed his filter without updating his signature OR could be asking for a friend. [eyecrazy]
10-4. Just trying to see the obvious i guess, thanks for pointing this out;)

00turbo 07-14-2004 08:10 PM

i have a bhaf and I dont think it has any oil in it... all i have is an edge COMP but i think i may need a bigger turbo it spools up really quick and I am pegging my 35 pound gauge so i dont know how much psi I am gettin... this may be doing some damage to my turbo??

RowJ 07-15-2004 08:35 AM

No oil in a true BHAF. Oil must be coming from inside Turbo - which you ARE over spinning if your pegging it at 35 psi. Anything over 32-33 psi will be super heated air on a stock turbo and give less HP anyway. Also over reving turbo could cause damage if done frequently. It's probably blowing oil by the seals.

RJ