24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure

How long does it take for you guys to get oil pressure first thing in the morning? I want to see what the answers are before I post what mine is. I will say it is longer than I like to see.

Rick
Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by rickf
How long does it take for you guys to get oil pressure first thing in the morning? I want to see what the answers are before I post what mine is. I will say it is longer than I like to see.

Rick
usually takes no longer than 5 to 7 seconds on mine to get up to normal pressure on cold start......
Old 03-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Same here on the 5-7 seconds.

A little longer after an oil change initial start up.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM

no offense but when you say 5-7 seconds to get to normal pressure.. ??? these gauges are dummy idicators, they dont show true pressure.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Chapter President

I don't think the question is as much about whether it is exactly 40 psi as much as the question is about how long until your gauge starts to move upward to the normal position you have seen over the years. Whether they are dummy gauges or Nasa gauges is a non issue when the op just wants to know how long. Maybe it takes 20-30 seconds for his gauge to budge off the peg in the morning so psi and dummies are irrelevant I do believe.

To the OP, seems like mine is probably 5 seconds, but that is just a shot in the dark and something I've never looked at but know it is not very long at all.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM

I guess I should of worded different..
the mechanical oil pressure gauge I have reads far faster of movement than the oem dummy gauge. but I can say for the length of time that i owned my early 01 CTD that the oem gauge moved quick almost 2 seconds after start up. except in cold mornings.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
I guess I should of worded different..
the mechanical oil pressure gauge I have reads far faster of movement than the oem dummy gauge. but I can say for the length of time that i owned my early 01 CTD that the oem gauge moved quick almost 2 seconds after start up. except in cold mornings.
Where is your oil pressure gauge hooked up? If its off the filter head, thats the first place that gets pressure. The OEM sender is off the cam journal gallery, which is the last place that gets pressure.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Next wintry morn set your syrup on the porch for an hour before you flip your cakes, leave one by the stove too and see how fast your eatin....

catch my drift?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tired what Sixslug said this morning. In case any of you haven't tried, at -30 Rotella T6 pours slowly and tastes really crappy. I think I will go back to maple for breakfast.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 AM

When the temp was below zero I counted to 20 before the gauge moved. I started bumping the engine over till I saw it move after that incident
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM

It took 12 seconds this morning, the check gauges light came on for a while. temp was -1 F
Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 PM

OK, Thanks guys, I don't feel so bad now. Mine takes 6-7 seconds consistently at around 30 degrees. If the sensor is in the cam galley I guess that might explain it. Just makes me uneasy to wait that long for oil pressure. I am going to install a mechanical gauge at the filter and see how long that takes. Mains and rods without oil in a diesel for 7 seconds would not be good. I know a lot of the Ford guys use pre-lubers, anyone here do that?

Rick
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM

OK, Thanks guys, I don't feel so bad now. Mine takes 6-7 seconds consistently at around 30 degrees. If the sensor is in the cam galley I guess that might explain it. Just makes me uneasy to wait that long for oil pressure. I am going to install a mechanical gauge at the filter and see how long that takes. Mains and rods without oil in a diesel for 7 seconds would not be good. I know a lot of the Ford guys use pre-lubers, anyone here do that?

Rick
I want to say that when I put a gauge on the filter head I had pressure just cranking, and went right to like 80 psi as soon as it start(I was watched the gauge well some one started it

HTH Rick
Old 03-08-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Where is your oil pressure gauge hooked up? If its off the filter head, thats the first place that gets pressure. The OEM sender is off the cam journal gallery, which is the last place that gets pressure.
yes its is at the filter housing and forgot to mention. my truck did read more true on the oem gauge until they did a update/flash then it became a dummy light. so I dont know if the ones that recieved a flash the needle moves slower or faster compaired to those that did not recieve the flash.
but when the twins get put on I will have to find a new spot to get the reading
Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Rick
I wouldn't worry about pre-lube setups. These engines are really robust, and there isn't all that much bearing wear typically. Seems like it would be a lot of work for very little pay off. Its not like its at full load with no oil pressure, its at an idle.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure