24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil out the muffler...what broke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oil out the muffler...what broke?

Wth...I was towing the boat home and noticed oil on the exhaust. I looked under and it seemed oil was coming out of the muffler just before the bend to go up/over the rear axle. At least it seemed to be coming out of the muff. Not a little but enough to coat the axle, shock and up over the sparetire and basically the rear underside from the muff back. Plenty of oil psi, boost, and ok engine and tranny temps. Any help as to what would cause this?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your turbo. Remove the intake from the turbo and check for the end play.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM

210k miles and nothings been done to the turbo. Going to pull and ck it today. Anything else to ck for? Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

That's pretty much it.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 AM

ditto on checking the turbo.

i demolished my turbo - it was very obvious and i had lot's of oil coming out the exhaust as well as running into the intercooler and thru the engine.

my turbo shaft completely broke, there was no doubt about it. thankfully i was on a test drive when it happened with another member who was a huge help.

unless the oil is seeping by the rings in the engine - i think the only other source to enter into the exhaust is thru the turbo oiling system.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Actually after looking a little closer what seemed to look like oil dripping from the muff was instead I think gear oil leaking from the front of the differental (sp?) being spun up by the drive shaft on the muffler. I'm now guessing after really looking its the front diff seal where the driveshat attaches and it smells like gear oil. Does this sound about right?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Could be. If it's the turbo, it might fill up the muffler and drain out, but you'd see plenty of oil at the inside of the tail pipe if your muffler filled with oil.

If it's only on the outside of the muffler and smells like gear oil, then obviously you need a pinion seal on your diff.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 AM

if it is coming from the turbo then it will most likely have coated the inside of your intercooler boots - if it's possible it is only leaking out the backside of the turbo then it will have coated the inside of your exhaust system.

first check the inside of one of your intercooler boots - they are very easy to remove and replace - if they are still squeaky clean then next pull apart the exhaust at one of your joints and inspect for oil . . .

i don't think the tailpipe suggestion is reliable - i think you would need a real bad leak with LOTS of oil to leave any obvious residue of oil near the tailpipe - especially if you can blow any smoke at all - the burnt oil residue might be masked by the soot cakes on the inside of your exhaust pipes/components . . .

i
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Driving my bros 06 ctd so I'm going to begin taking the pinion seal apart tonight. I ordered a pinion seal and speedi-sleeve from rockauto.com. With the amount of oil right at the driveshaft input to the rear diff I'm betting this is the prob. Thanks for all the input...I'll post what I find.