Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Oil Filter (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/oil-filter-18878/)

TommysBlue 10-09-2002 09:43 PM

Oil Filter

Just a quick questions.. I had my oil changed at one of those quick places... after 2 weeks I noticed that i started to leak oil from what I thought was the oil pan? then I found it was coming from filter, and I was getting a lot of blow back as I drove... anyway I took it back and they got almost 1 1/2 turns by hand to retighten the filter. How tight does the filter need to be?? Thanks in advance<br><br>Tommy

Commatoze 10-09-2002 10:37 PM

Re:Oil Filter

Tommy, a few questions for you. Did they use API CH-4 or CI-4 rated oil? What brand filter did they use? Did they empty the blow-by bottle? Did they know they were working on a diesel? [laugh]

-Tom-

[edit]

Tommy, I'm being a smart (,) ::) , but I have some serious reservations with the quick lube places. If you didn't supply the oil filter, at the very least I'd remove the their filter and replace it with a Fleetguard paper filter ASAP. Run the oil for no more than 2,000 miles and then drain and replace with a CI-4 oil and a Fleetguard Stratapore filter. I personally think you're risking a lot running it as it is now. If that junk filter starts to disentegrate as cheap ones have been know to do, you can kiss that 24 valve goodbye.

Alan_Reagan 10-10-2002 04:51 AM

Tommy, The oil filter needs to be snug at installation. Be careful with the quick lube places. They need to use a filter that will stand the high pressure at startup on these engines. Fram, for instance, has filters that they say are correct for these engines but the filters have disintegrated causing engine failure.

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-10-2002 06:07 AM

Both Smokedog and Commatoze are giving you great advice. The horrors attributed to these fast change oil places are very real. I know of one individual who had his engine filled with tranny fluid instead of oil when a new guy grabbed the wrong hose when filling from bulk tanks.<br><br>Best advice going is buy the best oil &amp; filter you can and change that oil yourself, That way you know exactly what is being put in it. If you can't do that, find someone who will just charge for the labor and use your oil and filter.

BarryG 10-10-2002 08:02 AM

I have used quick lube places in the past (not on this vehicle though). My brother in law worked for one for a few months after he got laid off from his job. He told me stories that would curl your teeth. They on average replaced (paid for) an engine a week. He said it was not that uncommon to chase after the customer as they were driving off because oil was running out underneath their vehicle as they drove off to find out they didn't tighten the drain plug, forgot to put the filter back on, loose filter etc. He said that twice while he was there people had their vehcile towed there becasue the vehicle just quit and the tow truck driver would do a quick diagnosis of a siezed engine because there was no oil drain plug in the pan so the vehicle owners would have it towed back to the quick lube to get it fixed. He may have exagerated some because he hated working there but I will never go back to one of those places. Though when I did use them in the past I never had any trouble of any kind.

admin 10-10-2002 08:08 AM

[quote author=Smoke Dog link=board=5;threadid=5742;start=0#50767 date=1034243497]<br>Tommy, The oil filter needs to be snug at installation. Be careful with the quick lube places. They need to use a filter that will stand the high pressure at startup on these engines. Fram, for instance, has filters that they say are correct for these engines but the filters have disintegrated causing engine failure. <br>[/quote]<br>Yep, there is even a TSB out on this kind of problem. If Dodge catches you using a Fram filter, or similair make, they may not warranty engine work if they find that the filter caused the problem.

admin 10-10-2002 08:13 AM

By the way, when I have gone to those places, I usually have nothing but problems. If I tell them not to touch my tires, then empty them down to 32 lbs not knowing that it's way too low for my truck. I had my tires rotated there once, and I lost two hub caps because of it. They had to order them from Dodge and replace them. Then another time, they were like 4 quarts short of a full deck if you know what I mean. Even another time, they spilled oil all over my belt so I had an engine squeek for about three days. <br><br>I cannot stand those places. Their attention to detail is equal to fast food restaraunt workers. It's sad.

TommysBlue 10-10-2002 11:51 AM

Ok, now I feel like a real dumb ***, I had no idea :'(. This is my 1st diesel &amp; I have only owned it for a short time. I didn't know there was so many do's and don't with a diesel. I have learned a lot from people like yourselfs, God knows I'm no kind of machanic. Sooo... I will keep reading and asking questions &amp; I will change my oil tonight... Thank You..... [eyecrazy]<br><br>Tommy....

latitud_rt 10-10-2002 12:10 PM

Not to flame, but &quot;most&quot; quick lubes do a good job. They are convenient and, well, quick. Most use brand name lubes and their techs are required to be certified. Now that being said, I do all my own fluid and filter changes, but the quick lubes are everywhere and many, many people use them. I believe they will even use your filters if you provide them, I mean Fleetguard filters can not be found at your local parts store. I think you are ok using those places just keep an eye out as to what tasks they perform on your CTD.<br><br>No flame, just my opinion.

Commatoze 10-10-2002 12:14 PM

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=5;threadid=5742;start=0#50883 date=1034255593]
.....Then another time, they were like 4 quarts short of a full deck if you know what I mean. ...........[/quote]

Ya, that's another thing Tommy should look at. Maybe they dropped 5 quarts into it and thought it was enough.

Did anyone ever have them pull the &quot;burnt tranny oil&quot; routine on them. They take a white piece of paper and put a drop of your fluid on it, and next to they put a drop of their fluid on it to show how burnt and dark yours is. You're supposed to go :o , but I just had mine done about 3 weeks prior and I pulled the invoice out. Talk about a whipped puppy. [laugh]

Tommy, finding a good filter may not be easy if you're in a hurry. Dodge is one place, but take a deep breath before you hear the price. They use rebranded Fleetguard filters which is the brand you want, but tack their piece-o-the-action. Another place is a Cummins distributer. www.cummins.com will give you locations all over the country. Some guys use NAPA Gold filters, but I can't comment on them one way or the other. Just use a good diesel oil like Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac, etc., and you'll be good to go.

-Tom-

phox_mulder 10-10-2002 12:36 PM

I've heard of people taking in their own filters, own oil, own fluids of other kinds, basically just using the Quick Lube place for the labor.<br><br>I'll stick with the dealer, or do it myself on this vehicle I think.<br>Since it cost twice what the house I'm living in sold for new.<br><br>A cousin of mine had a quick lube do the differential fluid change, and they kind of forgot to put anything in the rear diff. They didn't even try to fight it, and he got a new rear end from them.<br>Everytime I've taken a vehicle in, even if I tell them beforehand, they lower the pressure in each tire to 32.<br>The last 3 vehicles I've owned, as well as this one, take at least 50psi per tire.<br><br><br>phox

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-10-2002 02:04 PM

Like Commatoze I had the manager do the drop of rear end lube on the rag bit. he said&quot; Smell this, it is burned and needs replaced.&quot;<br><br>I smelled it and I never smelled any gear lube that didn't smell that way ;D<br><br>I told him &quot;nice try&quot; and merely laughed in his face.<br><br>Tommysblue, Don't feel bad because you didn't know these things. That is the very purpose of these forums, a chance for us to learn what somebody else already found out the hard way. <br><br>The secret in life is to learn from everybody else's mistakes, so you don't have to repeat them ;)<br><br>As to the remark about the fast lube places all having certified employees, I have yet to see one that did. The ones I have been to had a large turn over of help and most were kids right out of highschool. Many never saw an oil filter before they were hired. If you found one that has good employees, you are a far luckier man than me.

Glenns 2ed 10-10-2002 08:20 PM

[laugh]I use the napa gold filters for 100k miles with no problem a case costs 70bucks but the dealership said they are equil to or better than theirs, no i do not work for napa dodge yes Glenn and i like the delo400 oil also

slimchase 10-10-2002 10:17 PM

How much pressure is there at start up? I have a fram filter on, guess I should change it huh?<br>Chase

TommysBlue 10-10-2002 11:29 PM

Ok guys how about this.. A buddy of mine works for a Peterbuilt dealership (Parts Mgr).. I was asking him about oil filters and what type they used in their peterbuilts &quot;with cat diesels&quot;, and in their diesel delivery trucks [yuk]fords . He told me they use Donnelson (spelling?) filters made by Cat, he also said there one of the best on the truck market ???. <br><br> He can get me a whole case (his cost) for $ 27.00. &amp; Shell oil for $ 7.20 per gallon. Its not my intent to skimp on price, I just want to make sure the quality is there, what do ya think? .. ;D<br><br>Tommy