24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NV5600 Eaton filter help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV5600 Eaton filter help?

Dont let the number of posts fool you...I have always been able to answer questions by reading responses to other peoples dumb questions....but not this one.

As per advice on the forum, purchased a Eaton tranny filter that attaches to the PTO cover on the 5600. As usual the instructions are horrible. Is this a "Top" up application or a "Top" down application? What side should it go on...the passenger side?

To explain ill quote the instructions.

"Install the filter with word "top" and the projecting scoop in the top position when oil is thrown toward the PTO opening by the top of the gear. When oil is thrown toward the PTO opening by the underside of the gear, install with stamped words "Top" down.

There are also two gaskets....a cork gasket and another made of a grey fibrous material (similar to most ive run across). Which one goes btw tranny and retainer and which one goes between retainer and the cover housing?

I assume RTV is in order...I love slopping it over everything...

Additionally, Im looking for some better instructions on taking apart the console and how "exactly" to fill it up with the recommended 6 qts of Amsoil.

Thanks in advance...

Stew
Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy with Amsoil lube in my 6spd. for 2 years now.

They're not clear with their instructions because they don't know which direction the PTO gear turns as you go down the road.
I don't know either but with the scoop turned up, it's gotta catch and filter some oil every now and then...shifting gears or just sloshing around.

Your guess is as good as mine on the gaskets.

I filled mine with a plastic gear oil hand pump available at the auto parts store.
I squirted it through the top PTO cover bolt hole so I didn't have to take the console loose.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM

wow, I had exactly the same question, but figured it would be hard to find someone with that much knowledge of the NV5600, and so I angrily installed the filter while muttering "things".

The instructions mentioned other types of transmissions but said nothing about the NV5600, and they didn't give you a picture of what gasket goes where.

Anyway, it would be nice to know how to use the filter to its greatest effect, but until then, I've got mine installed on the driver's side, with the TOP side installed upwards. I hope it's doing something, but I am not sure.

Ted
Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shift tower comes off easy. Undo the four bolts holding it down, and lift it up. You have to take off the cup holder first. Remove the boot too. It didn't take me over 1/2 hour the first time I did it to find all the screws.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm not sure how effective a filter would be on the 6-speed if it is just relying on slosh to supply the filter and no pick up in the lower portion of the case and no pressure to force the fluid thru the thing.

I would assume the cork gasket goes to the removable portion to r/r the filter element and the paper filter would go between the case and filter housing as a permanent seal.

Be sure to pull the cup holder tray on the console and get the screw under it. The shift boots just pop straight up and expose the other screws. When removing the four bolts holding the shifter in place gently lift straight up and make sure the black plastic bushing on the end of the shifter shaft comes out and doesn't fall into the trans! You may want to get this going first before you replace the PTO covers if you pulled them to drain and wipe out the case.

Unless you really lunch the trans most of the stuff in there is yellow metal from the blocking rings and fine fine metal dust that collects on the bottom of the case. I'm not convinced this filter is really effective or needed. Just my .02

Kurt
Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the responses. Makes sense about the gasket...good tip with the shifter as well...but, now Im wondering if I should even install this thing at all.
How many of you rowers out there are actually using this filter?
Did the front diff today and will change tranny fluid tomorrow... quick feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Stew