Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Not wanting to start (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/not-wanting-start-277378/)

DodgeCowboy 09-17-2010 09:24 AM

Not wanting to start

So my truck has developed this odd thing about not wanting to start. It started a couple days ago and still does it to this day and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. If I get in it and go to start it it will sit there and just click till I push the clutch in harder then it will start every time. So I am about to go to town and have all the battery's checked as they are 3yrs old and have a some battery acid leaking and seeping out on the tops of them. Any thing else that I should look at? the alternator is still showing charging at 14 I am at a lost what do you guys think?

AggieJustin 09-17-2010 10:05 AM

Is the starter clicking when you turn the key? Or just the click of the key turning?

If it's the starter that clicks, then you likely need to replace the contacts in the starter. You can find new contacts at Geno's Garage or Foster Truck.

If you don't hear the starter click, then it's possible your clutch safety switch is going out. Since you said it starts when you push the clutch harder, this might be the culprit.

TRASHMAN 09-17-2010 10:06 AM

safety nuetral switch???

DodgeCowboy 09-17-2010 10:10 AM

The truck it self clicks when I try to start it. Looks like starter contact thanks guys pretty easy job?
Wonder does nampa sell them?

Originally Posted by AggieJustin (Post 2842628)
Is the starter clicking when you turn the key? Or just the click of the key turning?

If it's the starter that clicks, then you likely need to replace the contacts in the starter. You can find new contacts at Geno's Garage or Foster Truck.

If you don't hear the starter click, then it's possible your clutch safety switch is going out. Since you said it starts when you push the clutch harder, this might be the culprit.

AggieJustin 09-17-2010 10:22 AM

Not sure if Napa sells them, or if they would just try to sell you a new starter. It's an easy job to replace them. Just have to remove the starter and swap out the parts. Plus the replacements are much heavier than the originals, so it's a nice upgrade.

Junk Man 09-17-2010 10:23 AM

IF pushing the clutch makes the starter turn, it is likely the neutral safety switch like posted above. Solenoid contacts would not be affected by the clutch pedal position.

Copenhagenjunkie 09-17-2010 05:45 PM

It is easy to by-pass the neutral safety switch 1st with a piece of wire and 2 spade terminals. Mine has been by-passed for several years.

DodgeCowboy 09-18-2010 10:58 AM

I don't know if this has any thing todo with it or not but my intake horn was really loose and so was the ground wire that is on the intake horn it self. I know its a long shot but loose grounds cause funny things.