24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

no towing power

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck, if it is running right you will be . I hope you have finally figured out what the problem is.
dave
Old 03-14-2004, 03:48 PM

back from the tenn trip and everything worked fine but of course i was only pulling the 16 foot utility with one buggy so who knows ?????? Averaged 12.3 towing and 15.8 empty
dropped the carriage off north of Nashville and decided to go down and tour Nashville sat nite, one of the few places in my travels i have not looked over yet. Went to tootsies and a couple of the other local cowboy bars for a few drinks and got a meal.
wasn't real impressed with the music but am not a big fan of country music so what should i expect right?
got back to the motel (super 8) to find my trailer i had unhooked and left behind so i would be able to park esier in town was gone.
called the police and got a police report done but have my doubts that my insurance company will reimburse me?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check with the motel office. A lot of motels I've stayed don't really like trailers parked in the lot..... especially ones that have been left there unhooked from the tow vehicle. It's possible that the motel had the trailer towed. It's a longshot, but worth a try....
Old 03-14-2004, 07:37 PM

Man that sucks, I don't know why insurance company would cover it though. It is kindof like your truck being stolen. So do you think that you have the problem fixed?
dave
Old 03-14-2004, 08:26 PM

that was the first thing i did was go to and check with the office. they denied any knowledge of it and gave me the number of the police dept.
i had ask the desk clerk when i checked in if truck and trailer would be safe there and was told they never had problems.
Like these cummins , no one ever has many problems.
actually, it ran good on this trip but all i was towing was a 16 foot utility trailer with one buggy. week after next i have two to go to colorado and two to go to montana on the 40 foot trailer again so we will see then if we got the problem(s) taken care of. Hope so.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:22 PM

So what are you going to do about the trailer?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:51 PM

called my insurance agent this am but he didn't sound very encouaging. said he would file a claim thru my auto insurance my cargo insur and my homeowners but didn't think they would pay.
they sure manage for me to pay them every month !!
Old 03-15-2004, 07:10 PM

Herb

What did you do in this, or a former life to deserve this kind of luck? I wouldn't step outside in a rainstorm if I was you.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:39 PM

Herb buddy get down on your knees and make things right with the man. What the heck you go from one deli ma to the next. I would have been tempted to tell the insurance guy that the trailer was hooked up to the back of my truck. Anyhow I hope you truck problems are going to be better now. Sorry about your predicament
Old 03-15-2004, 08:51 PM

i say my prayers near everynite--i've heard tell he will never give us more than we can handle??
look at the good side i guess--got to drive home without towing a trailer and if the insurance company doesn't pay me they will have my premium money to help them pay someone else.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:22 PM

in order to collect insurance on a trailer, the trailer has to be insured seperatly
Old 03-24-2004, 12:40 PM

Dodge Again ?????????????

I am a Dodge veteren, all I have driven since I bought my first one in 1972. This is my first diesel and i have had more problems with this one than ALL the trucks i have had combined.
Have put around 20,000 miles on it since i got it and have been back and forth to Dodge and Cummins 12-15 times trying to get it to run right. Am at the juncture where i am thinking MAYBE we have the engine part figured out (supposed to left tommorrow towing a load of carriages to Ok,Co and montana) so will know for sure and what happens?
I detect a slipping and engine reving when i accelerate in overdrive, i immediatly go to the dealer and am told the tranny needs to be rebuilt or replaced. will know for sure after it is tore down.
I have a aftermarket warrrenty and the dealer stated that they will send an appraiser down to take pics and ok the repair. Says if they repair there is a 12000 12 month warrenty. if they replace from chrysler there is a 36000 36 month warrenty (1200.00 more for the chrysler tranny.
says normally the aftermarket insurers will athorize the rebuilds not the replacement.
seems worthwhile to pay the difference for the extra warrenty
give me some feedback on this one please
Herb
Old 03-24-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I know that I don't have the electronic devils your truck has, but my truck can pull your load at 1700 RPM, 60 MPH, cruise, overdrive, and not slow down on the longest grades. Boost just keeps rising until the power is sufficient. On the flat freeway my boost is 6-7 PSI with that load, and I estimate my camper is about as tall as your gooseneck wind shield. I get 15-16 MPG cross-country (and in the Rockies) with my camper and boat. Your truck is at least as capable, so you need to find competent gremlin killers.

Now that you have gauges, what is your boost? You haven't posted any real gauge numbers from your trips. Also please post the printout of boost, HP, and torque from the Cummins dyno session. You never revealed the results of that. Without real data anybody on this forum is just guessing when trying to help you.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:02 PM

I work at a John Deere deelership in centerville. All of our injection pumps go to a place called State Line Diesel. I've worked with some of the tech's there on horsepower issues i've had with tractors. They really seem to have it together and know a lot about the VP44 pump. It's somewhere local you might want to try.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:45 PM

Herb, sorry about your problems, I know how it feels.

I also have a similar problem. My 99 runs fine and then when I hook up (light trailer on a grade, or heavy on a flat), the truck "cuts out" as you say. I have to let it coast with the throttle off to get power (temporarily) again.

I am getting a fuel presure gage today, but I have to say that I sympathize with the concept that very few people seem to know what they are talking about when it comes to diagnosing this common problem.
Oddly, the Dodge and Cummins shops are the worst...most don't have a clue and are all tied up in red tape and OBD screens.
I have paid $70 no less than 5 times now to hear the code name but not one of these people can do more than give the party line.

Truck under load "cuts out"..."falls on its face"..."temporarily looses almost all power"... I've explained it every way possible.

My feeling?... FUEL, but the blank eyed nod from the techs is followed by others saying "air", or APPS, or even crankcase position sensor.

At $70 bucks for a reading and a million dollar shop, I'd expect just a hair more than "it's one of these 5 things".

My truck is not under warranty and frankly I cannot afford to replace things that don't need replacing.

My Dodge dealer is asking a GRAND just to tell me what is wrong with the truck.

Anyway, I also have owned a bunch of Dodge trucks and this is also my first Diesel, and I just have to chime in and say that *every* truck I have had in the past was more reliable and easier to diagnose/fix than this 99 CTD.

I have been under the hood of many vehicles in the past, but I bought this truck so I *wouldn't* have to get under there too often...how ironic.

Now I am faced with the decision of either learning everything about the truck and being my own full-time mechanic on it, or paying mega bux to have the ignorant just replace stuff until it works, or sell the damned thing.

I wish that Dodge would come on here and read this board and the 1000's of LP/VP44/APPS posts and be truely embarrassed.
They sit in their little air conditioned cubes and act like they they are controlling a space shuttle launch and you're priviledged to hear them repeat what they have overheard and wipe you out financially if you need half your system replaced due to their ignorance.
Meanwhile they keep the one guy who could actually say "spray a little WD-40 here and it will fix it because..." in the back to work on their own (and their buddy's) trucks and pay their other buddy's (ie moron "mechanic's") HONDA payment with my money.

For all the lucky owners of these trucks that experience reliable running (and I mean hauling, not looking macho), there are a bunch of us who are going through a nightmare with these things.

Feel better?
Sean

Quick Reply: no towing power