24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No start. No click. Good batteries.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Actually I assumed you did so I moved it where I figured you would get the best chance of a quick response......

I think you are missing the fact that your thread is STILL in the Emergency forum, it just redirects you here.....anyone looking in the Emergency forum still sees it AND now it is seen in this forum as well...you are getting twice the coverage despite all the whining
You're right. It's just been a while since I've been on here. Thank you.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dawj FeauXFeau
I had a similar issue just last week with a starter dying. Checked all the electrical components under the hood (or so I thought) and even jumped the clutch safety switch, aka neutral switch, by clipping the two leads right in the center from the switch unit and the plug-in. You have about 4 inches of lead wire, so you can crimp splice back if needed. Finally climbed under the truck to inspect the starter and found the solenoid terminal barely hanging inside the solenoid housing. I pulled on wire and it came out looking like the butt of a used welding rod. Traded entire starter in for a new one just knowing my troubles were over. NOT!!! Well, time to back-track my trouble shooting steps to see if I missed something. Sure enough, aside from the starter relay and ignition fuse which were good, the itty bitty 25 amp fuse clearly labeled "solenoid" that was lost in the crowd of all other itty bitty light fuses and whatnot was blown. Musta happened when the solenoid wire crapped out...only after 260,000 miles. BTW, left the clutch safety switch jumped with a wire twist cap. If you go that route and have a standard tranny, make sure your E-brake is on and tranny in neutral b4 cranking...it's easy to get used to not having to depress clutch to start. Hope this lends a little more assistance for ya. Ragin' Cajun
Thank you for your response. I have a 1999 and I don't think there is any fused labeled solenoid. I had already removed all factors outside of the starter unit by testing out of the truck with jumper cables. I'll make another post with my newest findings.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 PM

I think I have solved it. Two things: I have a working starter now, and I think I know what was wrong.

I had my current starter and an older one that I replaced previously. With direct jumper cable testing, both solenoids were not working. I completely disassembled the older starter including taking out the gears and greasing them. That older solenoid started working when I put it back together - I'm not sure why, but no matter. I paired my newer starter motor with the older solenoid, and made a working starter. I just haven't installed it yet.

The newer solenoid still doesn't work, and I think I know why. Using an ohmmeter, I found that the solenoid was open circuit. That's the problem. FYI, you test that by measuring between the little solenoid post and the big post that connects to the motor, and you should have less than 1 ohm. While taking apart the older unit, I noticed a small wire barely soldered on the bottom of the solenoid. I conjecture that the wire on the newer unit somehow disconnected. I would open it up and check, but I can't get the philips screws loose on that one. If I could get it open, then I could probably repair it.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
That forum is used mostly for broke down on the road, you usually get just as fast a response on the normal forums.

As for your starter, I personally replace the things rather than rip them apart, I haven't had real good luck rebuilding them, something always breaks.

This is the thread you need to refer to though, excellent reference.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=141395
Great write up. Wished I had read before putting new contacts in, may pull the starter and do the brushes and clean up. Another thing on the to-do list.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 AM

I installed the starter (the newer motor with the older remaining part of the assembly), and I found out what was wrong with the older starter. The starter spins, but it can't turn the flywheel. It seems that there is probably a 2-piece gear with a shaft presses in the center, and it is loose. I would have used the newer gears if I could get it open. I'm going to try another tool to open it up.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM

I found out the solenoid wire was actually disconnected at the top. It was somehow barely disconnected from the connection post inside, and it was hard to see. I don't know how that happened since it stopped working before I even opened the solenoid. You can't test electrical continuity from the post to that wire either since the wire is coated with a clear insulator. Anyway, I soldered it back on, reassembled the starter, installed it, and now the truck starts really fast.