24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No Power Steering or Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No Power Steering or Brakes

Started up the truck this morning and had no steering or brakes. Looked under the truck and saw a puddle of oil. Popped the hood and it was obvious that the hydraulic pump reservoir had puked the oil out past the filler cap.

I pulled the cap off while the engine was running and the reservoir appeared to be over full, right up to the rim of the filler neck. It looks like the pump is not circulating oil through the system.

What the heck is going on here? I did check the fluid level in the reservoir a few days ago... But I can't think of why that would cause this situation? Is there a way to bleed air out of the lines? Or is the shaft or chain that drives the pump broken?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've never experienced the condition, but somebody here mentioned that the accumulator in the hydraboost brake booster can leak into the p/s fluid, and cause the "overfull" condition you have. If so, I believe the only remedy is a new hydraboost unit.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does any one know what a hydro boost unit would run? I am having a brake problum see (brakes brakes no brakes) and I think my brake fluid level may be going down and my power steering level might be going up if it is it is only a little, i will keep a close check on it.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I got the truck working again, there was just some air trapped in the lines. Once I muscles the truck out of the driveway and rove it around the block, the air worked out and the pump started pumping fluid again.

I can only assume that there is a leak somewhere in the system that let air into the pump or lines, which allowed fluid to flow down into the resevoir and out the cap. I'm thinking its either the accumulator or the seal between the steering and hydroboost pumps.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:31 PM

some times the control valve in the Power steering pump can stick down

if it does the pump will only provide assist at high rpm at low rpm all the pressure/flow is dumped back to the reservoir (relief)

you can take out the pressure fitting (pressure out to Hboost) then pull the control valve out with a magnet clean it up sand away any burs and put it all back together
Old 12-02-2005, 12:26 PM

Miss driving my truck!

Hey guys,
i am having similar problems with my steering. I removed the p/s pump and found that it is functioning properly. Is there any additional procedures to diagnose the source of the problem?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 AM

no brakes not steering

I too woke up this morning and had no power brakes or steering. The power steering fluid was about 1" high and the brake fluid was abou 1" low. I took took the guy's advise about reving up the engine and it worked. I took the engine up to about 2500 rpm and stroked the steering and brakes until they worked freely. I'll call Dodge Service today and find out what I have to do to fix the problem permanently, but that trick got me to work. Thanks!

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24 Valve Cummins
Old 12-05-2005, 11:23 AM

Wow, today must be the day for this type of thing. My truck also had no brakes and no power steering this morning along with a puddle underneath. Left mine in the driveway and took the wife's car to work since she had no plans to go anywhere due to the snow coming down. I'll give the engine rev trick a try when I get home from work.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 PM

It has to do with the P/S fluid getting thicker with the cold temps. Some of the members here switched over to syn. P/S fluids and doing better...
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar1973man
It has to do with the P/S fluid getting thicker with the cold temps. Some of the members here switched over to syn. P/S fluids and doing better...
the thick fluid causes the pump to cavitate, the cavitation causes the control valve to move more rapidly than its designed to which causes it to wear and stick

MOST power steering pumps go bad because the screen on the back of the control valve gets clogged with metal from the system when the screen gets clogged the control valve cannot do its job when this happens the pump builds enough pressure to

A: blow the O rings
B: split the pressure plate/wear plate/or Cam pack ring

however most Campack's are not worn to the point they cannot be reused
this is why rebuilders want your cores they "reseal" the cores (the ones that are in Ok condition) and sell it back to you for $$$$$$$ when a 5$ seal kit and 4-5 hours worth of work could make it right

the things to look out for are broken drive rings (in the VacPump) warn drive adapters(pressed onto the pump shaft) leaky seals (the seal between the PSpump and Vagpump)..........

its cold here.........
Old 12-07-2005, 11:36 PM

This is crazy.. Mine just did the same thing as stated above! Will try the high rev solution tomorrow... BTW is your brake pedal hard as a rock? Mine is... Phil
Old 12-08-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sixpack
This is crazy.. Mine just did the same thing as stated above! Will try the high rev solution tomorrow... BTW is your brake pedal hard as a rock? Mine is... Phil
its hard because you have no power assist to help your size 10 push it down
Old 12-09-2005, 09:25 AM

not sing'n the blues for today. Power steering has been fixed. It tuns out that it was the steering gear box all along. n-e-ways, bought a re-built for $125 (w/core) and now i'm driving my truck again. Oh yeah, I also had a problem with my steering wheel having too much play, but since the gear box was replaced, problem solved.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Clucker
its hard because you have no power assist to help your size 10 push it down

Old 12-09-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I changed to synthetic about 3 years ago, and no problem so far...

Quick Reply: No Power Steering or Brakes