24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Tires, Now I'm almost afraid to drive,

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Just sent you a PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK,
All done.
Apparently it is true that the pump is self bleeding.

I got up this morning, jacked the front of the ground,.. kept adding fluid in increments,...turning the wheel lock to lock about 25 times between adding. When I was done,.. All was well again.

By the way, this new power steering pump makes it easier to steer than my original.. It is nearly as easy as the 92 gasser I had. I was real surprised that it was easier than oem.

ok,
Thanks all for your inputs. By the way,..I actually used a long clamp for getting the steering shaft to go all the way in where it belongs.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:01 PM

ok, after having the new steering pump,.. I love the pump, but it only did a tiny bit to help my steering wander problems.

I did replace my ball joints and tie rod ends 30k miles back and have only done highway driving. (first ones went over 200K.

HOWEVER, I did not replace the center link when I did this. Is there wear that can happen in that center link?.. I mean, all I see is that the centerlink connects to 1) to the pitman arm, 2) the idler pitman arm (probably technically not a pitman arm), 3) the left tie rod, and 4) the right tie rod. I have since found that there are two bushings...I've ordered these but for the life of me can't see if they go to the pitman arm or if they go where the tie rod ends connect.??

The only parts that I haven't replaced (other than the centerlink) is: pitman arm, wannabe pitman arm, and steering shaft. Shaft seems tight. When I had the pitman arm off the p.s. pump..it seemed tight,..but I have to assume it is hard to actually tell just but onhooking one end and monkeying with it.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm not completely sure what you're trying to describe. Can you take a picture of the parts you're talking about?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 PM

My camera doesn't have a flash.
BUT,..the centerlink is the rod that goes from the left tie rod end all the way to the right tie rod end... In the middle of the rod is the pitman arm on one side and an idler (pitman type) arm on the other. I do suspect the idler arm is loose (looks like it's there to take a beating), and I was just going to order one but they tell me there is more than one size bolt hole and I have to tell them which one... I think they are dreaming if they think there are 3 different size bolt holes for '98 dodge diesel 2wds. Really don't want to take something off just to measure it and then put it back again.