Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Need a Smog guy (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/need-smog-guy-317008/)

Slugblaster 03-17-2014 07:49 PM

Need a Smog guy

I need a smog guy who don't care about the puff of smoke. Any one know of one near la county. i'm at my wits end with this bs

Lary Ellis (Top) 03-17-2014 08:13 PM

Hopefully if anyone does know someone they WON'T post it here and have the sense to send it to you via PM ;)

Slugblaster 03-19-2014 08:02 AM

the smoke test is what is perceived to be too much smoke by the tester. No science or programs to hookup to the vehicle. Doesn't seem legal. And I can't believe I'm the only diesel owner in CA going through this. I ordered new stock injectors at $408 I already installed the Timbo APPS at $165 Plus $50 smog test plus $300 registration and still don't have my tags. But at least the truck is running great.

Lary Ellis (Top) 03-19-2014 08:18 AM

Right...I understand your issue but people can be hesitant about sharing information about a friendly smog guy for 2 reasons...

1. He won't be friendly long when he gets caught because they read about him here on the forum (yes they do read the forums looking for violators)

2. It is possible that anyone that asks a question like this in the forum may indeed be looking to catch violators.

Not saying this actually applies to you but simply trying to show you why getting a response to your question could be difficult.

SIXSLUG 03-19-2014 10:02 AM

My dad used to use Redline additive in his 300SD. It greatly reduced the smoke back when it didn't matter...the 80's didn't smog diesels as they were exempt...

He always commented on how he knew he forgot to add it when he'd climb the grade to our house and see the cloud in the rear view mirror...

I also always thought the visual test was a clowns decision at the bureau...always somebody taking it too far in the excuse of being a safety hero....

Good luck!

Slugblaster 03-20-2014 07:47 AM

Thanks Sixslug I Tried Lucas fuel additive and it seemed to help a little for a few days but I'll try the red line. Running Biodiesel always helped but they ran all the companies out of here. State wasn't getting their fare share.

hallio217 03-21-2014 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Slugblaster (Post 3229651)
the smoke test is what is perceived to be too much smoke by the tester. No science or programs to hookup to the vehicle. Doesn't seem legal. And I can't believe I'm the only diesel owner in CA going through this. I ordered new stock injectors at $408 I already installed the Timbo APPS at $165 Plus $50 smog test plus $300 registration and still don't have my tags. But at least the truck is running great.

Friggin' CA! Do you have any friends with property in Arizona or Nevada? My buddy couldn't pass smog with his F150 so he just registered it with Arizona DMV using his lake house address. Cheaper registration and no smog check required!