Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   My 01 Is kinda noisy (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/my-01-kinda-noisy-199684/)

yanertrivr 04-04-2008 11:22 PM

My 01 Is kinda noisy

My truck seems kinda noisy, with the windows down, is there any OEM insulation available for under the hood? Also The first leg of the trip I am getting right at 18 mpg running around 66mph w/cruise in 6th gear @18-1900 rpm. Does that sound about right? All gauges are good. I thought it would be around 20 or so
Everybody here knows more about these than I do.[duhhh]

19Fury69 04-04-2008 11:28 PM

Welcome to the world of 2nd Gen Cummins, Ide say your right where mileage should be, lately ive only been getting 15. As for the noise, invest in a good stereo haha

yanertrivr 04-05-2008 12:08 AM

Even bone empty? I was wondering about chips. any tips?[duhhh] It isn't too bad noise wise, Ever hear of a condensator? I hear they will get you a couple MPG, but then some say they aren't worth beans

19Fury69 04-05-2008 12:46 AM

Yeah i dont haul anything, i just drive like a jerk most of the time, but lately, im not sure if its the fuel or what but i have been getting around 15MPG. Ive heard lots about those fuel catalysts there are a few threads on here about them. I have the Edge Juice with Attitude, its been a great chip so far for me, got me a few more MPG back before my VP44 went at christmas, i was getting 21 average.

Busboy 04-05-2008 05:52 PM

My 2001 came with factory insulation under the hood but it's still very noisy. The dealer recommended undercoating and it did help. Do you use a winter front? That would help with the mileage during the winter. I get 20.5 average city/hiway hand calculated but mines a 5 spd.

nike 04-05-2008 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by yanertrivr (Post 2028830)
My truck seems kinda noisy, with the windows down,

[dummy] ROLL THEM UP...

sorry i couldnt resist

phox_mulder 04-06-2008 12:47 PM

Gotta love the 2nd gen rattle.

Even with the windows up, I can't hear my cell phone ring or feel it vibrate, let along try to have a conversation on it.

Guess that keeps me legal, no talking while driving.

phox

brianpgriset 04-06-2008 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by yanertrivr (Post 2028830)
My truck seems kinda noisy, with the windows down, is there any OEM insulation available for under the hood? Also The first leg of the trip I am getting right at 18 mpg running around 66mph w/cruise in 6th gear @18-1900 rpm. Does that sound about right? All gauges are good. I thought it would be around 20 or so
Everybody here knows more about these than I do.[duhhh]

Mileage seems about right. Have you cleaned your IAT sensor lately? How about MAP sensor? Are tire pressures correct? All these may improve mileage a bit.

Best I've got is a touch over 20MPG with about 95% highway at 60-65 mph. 18MPG for me is like 25% city, 75% highway.

As for the noise, you have an HO 24V Cummins... you best get used to it. Heck the rattle is half the reason I bought the darn thing![guitar]

yanertrivr 04-07-2008 01:13 AM

Noise isn't too bad, I kinda like it, I just git the thing so I'm at the bottom of the learning curve, got it with 94K on the clock so I have a little time before stuff happens. Seems like a good runner though, plenty of guts.
I'm thinking about an aftermarket module to see if I can get better mileage. Read about the PowerPlay MP-8, any one have any input?

used-kubota-man 04-07-2008 08:04 AM

I get about 17MPG and mine is very loud, which I love. The 2nd generations are the loudest 5.9s ever made. The new ones are too quiet, that's kinda red neck ain't it. Check out the link below.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/d...mmon_rail.html

RPegram 04-07-2008 12:06 PM

Last week I bought a handheld programmer and installed the high performance setting and whoa what a difference. Gave it a lot more power and sounded like it doubled the noise. It evedently changed the timing quite a bit. Had to back it off due to stock clutch wanting to slip a little under hard acceleration in sixth gear. It also created a lot of smoke. Not quite as noisy with this setting, but still a considerable gain in power.

Robbie.

afoulk 04-07-2008 07:06 PM

before any mods, I was getting 17-18mpg in the summer with mixed driving. In the winter time it usually drops to 15-16. Now with my 275 injectors, edge ez and my tires inflated to 75f/70r I'm getting 17.5-18mpg, so hopefully I'll do even better once summer roles around. I've also got a leveling kit in the front and the factory towing mirrors, so I'm sure that doesn't help the aerodynamics any.
As for the noise, if you have a HO, its gonna be the noisest thing you ever heard. I thought mine had problems, but everyone with a HO told me they're noisier than the SO engined trucks. I've worked on a few SO's before and they were a lot quieter than mine.
Theres a companie that makes underhood insulation for 2nd gens, along with exh. manifold blankets and I think even a skirt for the oil pan to cut down on noise, but their stuff ain't cheap. I don't remember the name, but I'm sure someone on here knows what I'm talking about.

klx650a2 04-08-2008 05:27 PM

Up there you still will be running winter fuel. I lose about 10% of my fuel economy with winter fuel. Once it warms up, back up to 22-23 mpg.... :)

crane 1 04-08-2008 07:33 PM

My hood liner was falling down a few months ago so I took it off and the truck is now a lot louder. Adjusting the valves seemed to help even though they were only about .004 off.
Mileage is 21.5 to 22, 18 towing light and about 11 pulling crane boom at 62mph.

Sixpack 04-08-2008 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by afoulk (Post 2032615)
before any mods, I was getting 17-18mpg in the summer with mixed driving. In the winter time it usually drops to 15-16. Now with my 275 injectors, edge ez and my tires inflated to 75f/70r I'm getting 17.5-18mpg, so hopefully I'll do even better once summer roles around. I've also got a leveling kit in the front and the factory towing mirrors, so I'm sure that doesn't help the aerodynamics any.
As for the noise, if you have a HO, its gonna be the noisest thing you ever heard. I thought mine had problems, but everyone with a HO told me they're noisier than the SO engined trucks. I've worked on a few SO's before and they were a lot quieter than mine.
Theres a companie that makes underhood insulation for 2nd gens, along with exh. manifold blankets and I think even a skirt for the oil pan to cut down on noise, but their stuff ain't cheap. I don't remember the name, but I'm sure someone on here knows what I'm talking about.

Here is the link.... http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodgecummins.html