24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Longevity...24 V 2nd Gen Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17000 hr Ottawa 24v

Originally Posted by RowJ
That's impressive!
Original injectors? Valve guides? etc.
Ever had the head off? Other work?

RJ
The Ottawa is unmolested. Gets the oil changed twice a year whether it needs it or not. LOL.
This kind of service is not really uncommon out of the Cummins. The majority of Cummins service failures are from the type of service they are used in.
When an engine runs for long periods, all the bearing inserts piston skirts, etc., acually are running on a film of lubricant. More damage is done during startup than in a 100hr run cycle that follows. The same is true for the fuel pump. Also remember with the VP its actually volume of fuel for lubrication and a commercial system uses large supply lines and comparatively large return lines.
Another point on this engine is the extended runs heat the oil enough to remove acids and other corrosives from the oil.
RPMs another factor. Diesels are low rpm performers. the ISX is realy happy at 1150 to 1600 rpm. The 6BT was designed for a max of 2500, so you start BOMBing these puppies and you streach head bolts, blow head gaskets, crack heads, stretch rods, or have a minor problem that quickly turns into a catastophic failure.
Want a 500,000 mile engine? Use it more than you dont, let it idle on short breaks, and dont BOMB the h@*& out of it.
Just my 2cents
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 PM

162000 2nd vp 2nd lp that i know of
Old 11-27-2007, 08:52 PM

265,000 miles on the ticker
at 180,000 had the LP replaced
at 190,000 had the IP replaced
at 200,000 had the TPS and ECM replaced.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 PM

140K. 4 lift pumps, 2 Clutch master cylinders, 1 water pump.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:13 PM

199,300 miles. put in new lp and vp at 186,000
Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought mine brand new in 1999 with 6.2 miles on it . Sitting now on about 178000. Went through four lift pumps and three VP44's . The last lift pump was changed out alongside the road the day before Thanksgiving on Rt 460 just outside of Lynchburg Va on the way home from Arkansas. It was a blistering 28 degrees that morning . Had Keith install the FASS and DDII's the following March and have never looked back. No more LP's for me . The original engine performed flawlessly, other than LP's, right up to about 145000 when I burnt a piston pulling my 730 JD up over Afton Mountain . Had Scheid Diesel rebuild the engine with a few extra goodies thrown in for GP. I chunked the BLue Chip after it ate the second VP, can't afford to play the HP game any more (too close to retirement) but it still runs pretty strong without the Blue Chip (no more wire piercing for me ) with everything else Scheid put in there.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:44 AM

98K, no lift pumps, no VPs.
Only work was 1 oil pan gasket replaced (replaced front crank seal and timing cover seal too even though they weren't leaking) and transfer case output seal - both of these were done under warranty at the dealership. I replaced the drive belt once, the evaporator core this past spring, the steering shaft a year ago, and the batteries a few days ago. I am probably going to be needing to do the front brakes soon.
That is it, been a good truck so far. I consider drive belts, batteries, brakes etc all maintenance items.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
Drove an '07 Laramie Quad-Cab Hemi loaner the other day. Not impressed. Fast but sucks the gas and was twitchy on the road. Cruising at 65 showed about 17-18mpg but went down to 11-12 when you punched it. Plus it didn't spew a big black cloud out the back when you floored it off the line....
I would hope the Hemi isn't spewing out any black smoke...that'd be bad!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM

bought my 02 used with 60 km on it. now up to 150 000 km. replace front driveshaft u joints once and thats it.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM

I Bought my 1999 in Oct. 2005 with 181k miles. I have put 44k miles on it as of now, just passing the quater million mile mark.

I have replaced:
-The lift pump twice (1st @ 205K, 2nd @ 219K)
-The starter once
-Both batteries once
-Alternator and Belt once
-4 Tires
-Brake pads 3 times
-Front Wheel Bearing Once
-Tranny was replaced by previous owner @130K

I started using the Power Service additive after the 1st Lift pump went out.
After the 2nd went out I stopped going past a quarter of tank of fuel and continued using the Power Service.
This is my first truck and my first diesel, I have done everything on the list except for the lift pumps, although I think I will do the next one myself. I'm learning as I go and I figue for the $10,000 I paid for it has treated me well and I'm not anticipating that to change in the future. My only regret is that I didn't buy a 4x4, other than that I'd buy it again.
* I'm still knocking on wood though*
Old 01-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Two days after I posted on here my lp went out again so I bought a new one . It lasted ten minutes so I took it back , the next one only worked once .After my blood pressure came down to close to normal I called and bought an AirDog 100 . I installed it two weeks ago and it is working great.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:00 PM

We've got a 2002 3500 cab and chassis with around 95K on it. Had since new. It's has a trailer hooked on it 100% of the time. From 8k cattle feeder to a 21k cattle trailer. The only thing that has been replaced is the rearmost U-joint a couple years ago. Origional LP, VP, even the origional batteries.

My personal truck is a 2002 2500 4x4 with 59k miles. Had since new. It got a Edge EZ at 8k miles, now has a XZT+. Gauges at 10K. Replaced LP at 45k. The replacement was bad when put on, so it went through 2 in a week. Batteries replaced at 55K, that's it.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:57 AM

2001 2500 SLT 5.9l CTD 5spd manual short story

In april of '07 I just knew that a Dodge CTD was what i needed.
I found a fixer upper at a carlot on the edge of town.
This truck was a grassfire truck and damned ugly but when I drove it,well it called to me.
It had 149,000 miles on the OD was covered inside and out with soot,
all the plastic on the outside had been partially melted and the tires scorched but checking hoses and harnesses turned out to be all good.
I spent the rest of my remaining money having the front end rebuilt and the gearbox was in such bad shape that they had to use a cutting torch to get the case open.
I had them install Dana extreme duty U-joints and carrier bearing,next I drove it to the tire shop where I spied a set of Incubus 20x12" rims with Nitto P305/40/R20 "D" rated Grapplers and got them installed.
I washed the truck thoroughly and pulled it into the shop and took a highspeed
polisher to the paint and discovered a beutiful truck hidden underneath,
except i was now broke.
I changed the engine oil and filter and the fuel filter every 3,000 miles.
I drove the truck daily and on weekend trips then at 168,000 rolling down the interstate the engine died,it ran so smooth that i did not notice till i gave it some fuel and it did'nt respond.
I had the truck towed to my mechanic's shop where they replaced the LP.
When I picked up the truck,I did'nt even get out of the drive where it died again and yet again with no warning.
I get a call three nerve wracking days later and the Mechanic confirmed my fears that the VP-44 had died.
He does'nt do a lot of diesels so he called in the instructor from the local vocational/technical college and the verdict was that in time that it took to
ascertain the situation and take the truck out of gear the VP had galled up inside with no lubrication.
Would I do it again? Damned straight! but I would have sold crack cocain or maybe a redundant organ to install at minimum a fuel pressure guage and a LED shiftlight and buzzer for good measure.
I'll get a FASS but still paying for the LP/VP fiasco.
Feast Your eyes on this beauty:
Attached Thumbnails Longevity...24 V 2nd Gen Trucks-dodges%7E1-copy.jpg   Longevity...24 V 2nd Gen Trucks-dodgef%7E1-copy.jpg  
Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 AM

Ive got 368,000 miles with two lift pumps and 1 VP replaced. Bought the truck last month from the original and only owner who used to work at Cummins.

Planning on some mild bombs but nothing over the top. What do you guys think of the plans??

First: Gauges!!!!! safety first
Then: BHAF, Quadzilla xzt+, boost elbow, 4" straight pipe
Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 PM

110K miles nothing but belts hoses and a thermostat.

Wait that is my current 99 V-10 SBQC 4x4 Sport..

Bought my Cummins back in '04 for the unheard of price of 12,000.00 one owner 90K miles, fresh tires ( 1st replacements) and brakes, he towed a ski boat with it on weekends, and worked construction. Had a cab high shell on it from day one, and never hauled anything more than plywood and 2x4s in it. The original Dodge aftermarket bedliner was still shiny, and only had 2 or 3 scrapes in it! It was a cream puff, with fastidious records. The Original Owner bought a duallie because he thought the QCLB looked like a sausage without the the fat butt fenderd on it. He got a company truck to drive, was speculating on a new house build and needed money FAST, I bought it on the spot. 99 3500 QC. I added an Edge box(never pierced the wire though) 4" exhaust, AFE box and a Pyro,trans temp, boost, and Fuel Pressure gauges. 3 lift pumps (1st one was dead when I installed the FP gauge, who knows how long..), 2 VP44s later, I was blessed with the Cracked "53" block curse. I replaced the block with one from a 1st gen Dodge a farmer had sitting behind his corn crib, sold the whole truck to me for 200.00 Parted it out, made ~ 2000.00 on everything (trans, mint dually bed that was removed for a flatbed when new, pump, turbo, IC, axles etc...) Put the 53 block in the cab, sold what was left for scrap, and got 226.00 for it!! Truck ran good, but I could never trust it again, sold it for 15,000.00 and bought my V10 for 6500.00 with 70k Miles on it. With the current cost of Diesel here in NE Illinois, I'm not losing much with the Gas motor. I get an HONEST 12 MPG with it loaded or empty, where I was @ 16 with the Cummins on average. I do miss the sound of the turbo through the AFE though.

Quick Reply: Longevity...24 V 2nd Gen Trucks