Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   long shift going into second now (AT) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/long-shift-going-into-second-now-251211/)

97catintenn 08-31-2009 04:09 PM

long shift going into second now (AT)

99 dodge CTD 4 wheel drive autotransmission

Pulled 7,000lbs Friday with it. Today, it acts like it doesn't want to shift into second. You take off, rpms get up around 2k and truck does something...but it just waits about another 5 seconds before actually engaging into second.

Checked the fluid level, and it's full. After it shifts into second, the other gears work well.

I think I may have damaged something when I was pulling, cause there was one spot that I had to take off at the bottom of steep hill...and it stayed at 2k rpms pulling it up the hill slowly. That, and I've never pulled that much weight before.

ado2b1 08-31-2009 05:06 PM

Pressure governor sensor and solenoid would be my guess. It took about two weeks for my rig to quit shifting into third all together. Same symptoms. No way to diagnose that I'm aware of. If it continues for a couple of days shifting fine 1-2 and 3-4 + OD lock but resisting a solid 2-3 shift I would be almost certain. Check transmissionpartsusa.com for the sensor and solenoid, about half what you'll get them at the dealer for. Make sure you get the right sensor, I ordered the wrong one at first b/c it was listed incorrectly for a 47RE.

The replacement is very easy though. Maybe an hour from start to finish clean up.

Would think it was just coincidence with the towing 7k should be nothing for these trucks, even the notorious trannys.

97catintenn 08-31-2009 07:11 PM

So, it wouldn't matter that my problem is the 1-2 shift and not the 2-3 shift, right?

dozer12216 08-31-2009 10:21 PM

A delayed or soft 1-2 upshift is frequentlly the result of excessive KD band wear. A adjustment will probablly put you back into business. After proper adjustment at bolt on left upper forward side of case, there should be threads showing above Jamb nut. If no threads show, the band is worn out. Quick repair steps are indicated as the metal of band starts wearing into expensive drum it rides against. Fluid and filter repalce at same time is generally accepted practice.

67HotRod 08-31-2009 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by dozer12216 (Post 2565679)
A delayed or soft 1-2 upshift is frequentlly the result of excessive KD band wear. A adjustment will probablly put you back into business. After proper adjustment at bolt on left upper forward side of case, there should be threads showing above Jamb nut. If no threads show, the band is worn out. Quick repair steps are indicated as the metal of band starts wearing into expensive drum it rides against. Fluid and filter repalce at same time is generally accepted practice.

I second this, just hope theres some material left on the band.

bigfish95971 09-01-2009 12:16 PM

On mine it has been the pressure switch and solenoid. twice in 400k

97catintenn 09-01-2009 05:38 PM

I'll give it try guys! Thanks

97catintenn 09-02-2009 11:01 AM

Well, I tightened the band up and she shifts like new again!

Thanks for all the hope, and the site, I owe this place alot!

My band is pretty worn, though...I don't think I have room to do another adjustment.