24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump recall by NHTSA

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump recall by NHTSA

Anyone that has had a lift pump failure should report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration so they can force DC to recall and correct this design problem. This is a safety issue, if the pump fails while you are towing and you lose power it could cause an accident. Here is who you file the complaint with on line. Please file your complaint, or don't complain about lift pump problems ever again.<br><br>http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ <br> <br> <br>
Old 06-19-2003, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Lift pump recall by NHTSA

Did it.<br><br>Dave
Old 06-19-2003, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

done it, Thanks for the link. Had to replace mine at 41,000 now have 68,000 and this one is starting to die.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:02 PM

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=4;threadid=16097;start=0#151222 date=1056053622]
[quote author=Pit Bull link=board=4;threadid=16097;start=0#151203 date=1056050079]
This is a safety issue, if the pump fails while you are towing and you lose power it could cause an accident. [/quote]

I don't agree with your logic here. So could a tire, or a transmission, or anything else that fails in the drivetrain or engine of a vehicle. I know the lift pump is a problem, but for DC to issue a recall? I wouldn't expect them to. Maybe a TSB, but a recall? Why?

I'm also curious about how many failures come from modified trucks. Metrics would be key here, because I bet you a large percentage of failures are from modified trucks, running EZ's and Comp's etc. That would have to be looked at before anyone could be forced to issue a recall, and even if the percentages were extremely low on modified vehicles compared to stock, I just don't see a recall ever happening here.
[/quote]

Jack, I am concerned about any design failure that could cause an accident. This problem could cause an accident. I tried to get numbers from DC on failed lift pumps they would not provide that information. There have been polls done on the TDR regarding failed lift pumps on bombed trucks versus stock, the numbers are about the same, no hard numbers just members reporting what they are seeing. I figure that if this puts pressure on DC to do something to fix the problem then we are better off. I've written to DC about the lift pump problem and got back a canned response. I think it would be great if enough owners complained we might get some help?? But Jack you might be right and we might not get any help.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Banned

It wouldn't let me file. ??? &gt;
Old 06-19-2003, 04:51 PM

ok

Old 06-20-2003, 10:50 AM

I have 2 trucks, both stock as far as fueling mod's go. Both have had lift pumps replaced, not scientific, but true. <br>I too don't think it is a safety recall issue, but maybe if enough people send letters to the address, and use the ref # provided in the thread over on the high performance forum, they just may stop denying that a problem exists. I figure it was worth a shot, so I sent an email to them as well as a letter, for each truck. Not a threatening letter at all, just facts and I also provided them with vin#'s and name of the dealer that replaced the dead lp's.<br><br>Awaitingtheirlameresponsewayne :
Old 06-20-2003, 12:36 PM

All of the LP talk reminds me of my 92 F150 I had. Both fuel pumps (front and back tanks) went out at about 40K miles. Probably anyone out there that had a early '90's Ford gasser had the same problem. We had about a half a dozen where I work and I know my supervisor's lost both his, I lost two, and another guy lost one. All before 75K. $800 to fix two pumps. From most people I had talked to that owned one, I think about half had problems. Ford/NHTSA never recalled them. I don't think the numbers here are close to half are they?
Old 06-20-2003, 06:24 PM

[quote author=wheezer link=board=4;threadid=16097;start=0#151575 date=1056130566]<br>All of the LP talk reminds me of my 92 F150 I had. Both fuel pumps (front and back tanks) went out at about 40K miles. Probably anyone out there that had a early '90's Ford gasser had the same problem. We had about a half a dozen where I work and I know my supervisor's lost both his, I lost two, and another guy lost one. All before 75K. $800 to fix two pumps. From most people I had talked to that owned one, I think about half had problems. Ford/NHTSA never recalled them. I don't think the numbers here are close to half are they?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Harder to report back then. People had to write a letter. Most people won't do that. But if it is easy to report like it is now on the internet I think we might make a difference. Does not hurt to try.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that is going to die from a bad lift pump is the injection pump, this is not a safety issue.

When I had the pump go out completely the only way that I knew was the gage. With 0 pressure the truck ran fine.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:04 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=4;threadid=16097;start=0#152099 date=1056312816]<br>The only thing that is going to die from a bad lift pump is the injection pump, this is not a safety issue.<br><br>When I had the pump go out completely the only way that I knew was the gage. With 0 pressure the truck ran fine.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I have to disagree with you. Many members of the TDR have had their truck dies when the lift pump went and some reported that this happened in traffic and they were lucky to avoid an accident. This makes it a safety issue.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I seem to recollect that Ford was forced to recall millions of vehicles in the early '90's due to an ignition module that could overheat and cause the vehicle to stall. The lift pump situation is not too different, it's another vital part that is prone to failure under normal circumstances. I think a NHTSA safety recall is not too far-fetched if they hear of enough problems.

Quick Reply: Lift pump recall by NHTSA