24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift Pump dead from filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Pump dead from filter change?

Any of you ever had this happen? I did a fuel filter change last night and noticed when I restarted it that when the key was first turned on, my fuel pressure gauge stayed at 0. No just up to 20, then fall back down prior to start. The truck starts and runs fine, but the pressure slowly creeps up to operating psi, 16-18. When I turn the key on, sometimes i hear the lift pump run, sometimes not. I'm going to change the lift pump tonight, because now I don't trust it, I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar experience. Also, what are some more reliable, after market switches for the lift pump on a stock truck? Might have to go that route instead of carrying a spare lift pump.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bad juju if your LP isn't running!
Mine died and fried the VP.
When I replaced it with a FASS pump (not the whole system, just the pump) it came with a different relay also. The stock relay powers the trip on the LP relay and the power goes from battery to relay to pump direct and with heavy gauge wire. Plus the new pump is mounted on the frame rail just behind the cab, I HEAR THAT BABY. when you first turn the key it sounds like I have a smart car that I ran over

One other thing you might check.
My fass went "bad" and I called them up to be told it was out of warrantee. So I figured WTH I'd see what I could do. When I pulled it apart there was little bits of white silicone jamming the pumping gears. Turns out that the prefilter was self destructing and little bits of sealant were coming off. When I changed out the regular filter I saw that quite a bit had made it through the pump before one piece was big enough to stop it.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:24 PM

VADSLRAM, I talked with a local shop today and he recommended the relay option also. He sells a kit. I figure I'll go pick one up and install it with the new lift pump tomorrow. Mine's alot like yours, nothin fancy, just a 300k mile daily driver.

Thanks,
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Similiar issues....I think some junk passed thru the frame mounted LP1 and Baldwin prefilter. When I opened the factory filter housing I found the about a teaspoon of sludge looking junk that the factory filter stopped. LP1 is now making noise and psi gauge is bouncing all over the place. I think the junk pushed thru by LP1 has ruined it...now wondering how/why the junk made it thru the Baldwin filter ahead of the LP1? Not very happy and will have to find out micron rating of the Baldwin spin-on
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 AM

What kind of prefilter kits are you all running? I'm assuming they just mount inline on the frame between the tank and lift pump. I should probably add one of those.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The prefilter was stock on mine and it wasn't stuff getting through, it was the filter itself coming apart. It is really just a screen to keep big stuff out. I had to go to a fleet supply to get it though. It was only 6 bucks but I guess it isn't a fast seller.

In my photo galery you can see the pump I used and the place I put my gauge.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a Baldwin Spin-on bf957 which has a 20micron rating for a pre-filter LP1 mounted on the frame rail. Fuel then goes to a replacement factory pump and then factory filter. Removed frame mounted LP1 and bf957... Truck runs but zero psi on the gauge. Fuel psi idiot light is off (5psi rated). Will have to sleep on it. Sorry to hijack but to solve your issue, I'd find another filter brand.