Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   leak after VP44 install (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/leak-after-vp44-install-330518/)

hutch98 06-30-2018 03:11 PM

leak after VP44 install

I have a 99 auto 4x4 and had the VP44 replaced along with a new fuel pump a few months back at a local diesel shop. Truck runs fine and now there is plenty of oil dripping from the front of the engine. Seems to be getting worse the more I drive it which is not a lot. It covers all the steering components at the axle, steering pump and some on the top before the belts, differential/axle. Not sure if there was a seal/gasket that they didn't get right. Just not the same since the install. Any help would be appreciated before I give them a call Monday. I will post some pics later

Thanks

Hutch

KATOOM 06-30-2018 03:33 PM

The VP has a large o-ring seal which prevents oil from the timing gears to escape out. If the installer damaged that o-ring then it will leak. Pictures showing where the leak is coming from would confirm if thats the problem or if the leak is from something else. Also, make sure its engine oil and not something else. :thumbsup:

hutch98 07-02-2018 06:29 AM

Hard to see where the leak is coming from. I will try and clean it up and take a better look but it is definitely oil.

hutch98 07-05-2018 07:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found the culprit vapor canister is missing. I'll find a new one. Seems like quite a bit of oil coming out of it though pic is from driving about 15 miles then parked for an hour

hutch98 07-05-2018 07:25 AM

Sorry pic is side ways. Looked it up and will do the relocation for the "puke bottle"

KATOOM 07-05-2018 10:03 AM

Get rid of the catch bottle. Leaving it where its mounted from the factory causes the engine fan to pull oily vapors back around in the radiator and collect dirt and debris. Eventually the radiator will become clogged and cause various issues with engine temp and AC function. LOTS of threads about this problem...

What people do is connect an extension of 3/4" heater hose to the current vent hose and run the extension down under the engine and back away from the radiator. You can go as far as you want but just make sure there are no dips or sags in the hose which would allow oil or moisture to collect and block off venting. Most people just stop at the back of the engine.

But in saying that, there shouldnt be very much oil dripping from the vent. If there's oil puking out that hose then either there's way too much oil in the engine or there's a blowby issue shoving oil out the vent. Its hard to tell when the engine fan is running but if you add an extension to the hose, you should be able to see a faint amount of vapor escaping the vent hose when the engine is idling. If its venting a forceful amount of air then something isnt right.

If you see excessive venting then one thing to look for is a vacuum leak in the HVAC system. Because if there's a vacuum leak the air entering the vacuum pump exits directly into the crankcase. That added air comes out the vent hose. Usually a sign is you also notice that the HVAC vents are working correctly either. :thumbsup:

hutch98 07-09-2018 08:00 AM

Thanks for the info. Got the heater hose and will get it hooked up and away from the front. And get all the oil cleaned up.

hutch98 08-15-2018 05:10 PM

Well still getting this worked out not coming from crank case breather. Took it back to the shop that did the install of the VP44 on my truck and this leak/oil dripping started after the install and has been getting worse. They said there is a small hole in the crank case gasket but could not have been messed up while Replacing the VP44 Spits out oil and drops down. Looks like you have to remove the breather and use a puller to remove the pump drive gear. Could this not mess up the crank case gasket? They want $650 to redo the crank case gasket 😳

MiddleWayfarer 10-11-2018 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by hutch98 (Post 3351882)
Well still getting this worked out not coming from crank case breather. Took it back to the shop that did the install of the VP44 on my truck and this leak/oil dripping started after the install and has been getting worse. They said there is a small hole in the crank case gasket but could not have been messed up while Replacing the VP44 Spits out oil and drops down. Looks like you have to remove the breather and use a puller to remove the pump drive gear. Could this not mess up the crank case gasket? They want $650 to redo the crank case gasket 😳

I am currently experiencing the exact same problem! Replaced the VP44 last weekend, now leaking oil like a sieve from the side of the gear case right near the spot where I used the puller to push the injector pump back. I expect some forward pressure from the pump gear pushed the cover away a bit and caused the seal to ‘give way’. Replacing the crank cover gasket tomorrow, I’ll let you know if it fixes the problem.

KATOOM 10-14-2018 12:06 PM

The VP enters into the timing gears front case through the back side. Because its connected to the timing gear and is essentially part of that oil bathed assembly, the VP has a large rubber o-ring on its base. If that o-ring is damaged during the install then it will leak engine oil. It wont leak from the front of the timing case but from the back side.

The way you remove the VP is by taking off the engine vent plastic cover (which unscrews in a turn an remove fashion) and then access the timing gear nut. Remove the nut and using a puller to "pop" the gear loose from the VP shaft. The gear does NOT come out. Then the VP can be removed. But because the o-ring is a tight seal, it can be difficult. And re-installing can be equally difficult which may result in damaging the o-ring if the installer isnt careful.

hutch98 10-16-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by MiddleWayfarer (Post 3353856)

I am currently experiencing the exact same problem! Replaced the VP44 last weekend, now leaking oil like a sieve from the side of the gear case right near the spot where I used the puller to push the injector pump back. I expect some forward pressure from the pump gear pushed the cover away a bit and caused the seal to ‘give way’. Replacing the crank cover gasket tomorrow, I’ll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Sorry I did not update. Had the crank case cover gasket replaced and problem solved. Just crazy how it happened to you and me after a VP44 install.