24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

KDP in 24 valve Eng.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: KDP in 24 valve Eng.

Should it bust my engine up, I'll let Dodge pay for it. That's why I have a warranty. How many cases of this have occured in the 24 valves?
Old 01-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Chapter President

There use to be a poll on TDR by model year on failures...but that poll is gone now...if I remember the poll only when to 1998 everyone thought that was the gear housing change year...but since then I have heard of 99's and 1st Gen diesels with this KDP problem<br><br>The only advise I have is fix it or wait for damage to happen...sure you can say my truck has a warranty so Iam not worryed...my view is would your feelings change if your along side the road for hours waiting for help in sub-zero weather ???
Old 01-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Banned

Sub-Zero weather. What a laugh. Where I live, that's anything below 55*.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Chapter President

Seems to be another debate on this over at TDR...if I had a 24v I would wait until someone could show me some hard data or some photos of failures on the 24v rather then one man's say so that started this whole thing over at TDR

I have heard of some of the early 98.5 and very early 99 24v with the KDP problem but Iam sure they where the exception and not the rule

You 24v owners have enuff little bugs to worry about without adding to the list ;D

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=64557
Old 01-16-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So Pappyman, are you saying that you haven't actually seen this failure, and haven't heard it from someone you trust?<br><br>It's such a pain having to wade through the BS to figure out if I really have a potential problem or not. &gt;<br>But I guess that's why I'm not a TDR member....<br><br>Chris
Old 01-16-2003, 11:11 PM

Tough to discount Bill's &quot;eyes-on&quot; statement. We are doing KDP on two '99's here this wknd. Good enuf for us. I, too have been asking for quite some time. This is first hard evidence that I have heard. Better safe than sorry.<br><br>Anyone in the NW WA area that would like to join us, welcome!
Old 01-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=Stamey link=board=4;threadid=9643;start=15#92934 date=1042766193]<br>So Pappyman, are you saying that you haven't actually seen this failure, and haven't heard it from someone you trust?<br><br>It's such a pain having to wade through the BS to figure out if I really have a potential problem or not. &gt;<br>But I guess that's why I'm not a TDR member....<br><br>Chris<br>[/quote]<br><br>Chris<br>I know of one 98.5 that was fixed with the jig and they hit the dowel when they drilled thru...but moved it back enuff to lock it in with the locking screw...thats when I learned if the dowel has just started to move out sometimes they can be wiggled back in I had to do this on my buddies 97 when I fixed his KDP because I hit the dowel pin when I drilled for the Jig Fix<br>I have only heard of one 99 that the dowel came out and broke the case but this is only second hand hearing about it and I cant prove it<br>I still feel unless someone can come up with data that supports what they are saying at TDR then I'LL believe its a problem with 24v's....I would look at the build date on the motor and disreguard the model year of the truck if the build date is 98 early 99 its possable that it mite have the old style gear housing without the stepped dowel hole<br>This whole thing is still up in the air about weather its a problem...if it was my truck I would fix it if the build date on the motor was 98 other wise I would wait to see if more 24v report having this problem
Old 01-17-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I'll check it out as soon as I can crawl up under the truck again. Too cold right now.<br><br><br>Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I found!!!!<br><br>My truck has an early 98 build date which would be mid to late year production as the auto industry calls it. Surely with the mile's I have it would have moved and broke something by now.<br><br>I have looked, no pin, electrical wires and sensor (where the pin should be), which would be the CMP (camshaft position) sensor. I quess I should feel lucky. <br><br>I would say if you have a 98 or 99 24 V the best thing to do is look for yourself. <br>
Old 01-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=Copenhagenjunkie link=board=4;threadid=9643;start=15#93127 date=1042816926]<br>Here is what I found!!!!<br><br>My truck has an early 98 build date which would be mid to late year production as the auto industry calls it. Surely with the mile's I have it would have moved and broke something by now.<br><br>I have looked, no pin, electrical wires and sensor (where the pin should be), which would be the CMP (camshaft position) sensor. I quess I should feel lucky. <br><br>I would say if you have a 98 or 99 24 V the best thing to do is look for yourself. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>What are you looking for ?? you cant see the dowel pin unless you remove the gear housing cover<br><br>I have a web page about it maybe this will help<br><br>http://www.phantomcycle.com/kdpfix.html<br><br>.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:55 PM

Pappyman,<br>May be I am way off but this dowel pin is also called the timing pin? Right or Wrong?<br><br>
Old 01-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Chapter President

[quote author=Copenhagenjunkie link=board=4;threadid=9643;start=15#93200 date=1042829729]<br>Pappyman,<br>May be I am way off but this dowel pin is also called the timing pin? Right or Wrong?<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>No these dowels are used to align the gear housing with the engine block durning assby to insure proper alignment for pump timing until all the bolts are installed and torqued...after the bolts are torqued the dowels are really no longer needed...but its not advisable to remove them in case the bolts should loosen the slop in the bolt hole would allow the gear housing to shift and timing would change the dowels would stop that type of shifting
Old 01-17-2003, 02:11 PM

Thanks Pappyman,<br><br>Well I feel like an idiot :-[. At least I did learn something though.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:23 PM

[quote author=Copenhagenjunkie link=board=4;threadid=9643;start=15#93215 date=1042834315]<br>Thanks Pappyman,<br><br>Well I feel like an idiot :-[. At least I did learn something though.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Just fix it &amp; forget it! ;D

Quick Reply: KDP in 24 valve Eng.