24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Installing 1996ish fuel filter on a 1998 1/2 24v.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Installing 1996ish fuel filter on a 1998 1/2 24v.

I got tired of my fuel housing leaking,... So I ordered a housing and filter kit from Geno's. It is supposed to bolt directly in place of my existing filter and housing. I think it is technically a retrofit to something like 1996 specs or something like that.

It came today. It has an adapter as part of the housing..I thought it was like a 1/2 inch super short pipe nipple, but with a closer look I think it is machine threads.Looks like stainless steel.

Do I need to put teflon tape on it????? (I'm afraid of getting teflon downstream to the vp44).. There were no instructions so I'm a little befuddled... You would think it would be brass if they didn't want you to use teflon or rectorseal or something????

Somebody please let me know..I have no idea and want to change it over YESTERDAY.
Thankx,
Old 10-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Puke
I got tired of my fuel housing leaking,... So I ordered a housing and filter kit from Geno's. It is supposed to bolt directly in place of my existing filter and housing. I think it is technically a retrofit to something like 1996 specs or something like that.

It came today. It has an adapter as part of the housing..I thought it was like a 1/2 inch super short pipe nipple, but with a closer look I think it is machine threads.Looks like stainless steel.

Do I need to put teflon tape on it????? (I'm afraid of getting teflon downstream to the vp44).. There were no instructions so I'm a little befuddled... You would think it would be brass if they didn't want you to use teflon or rectorseal or something????

Somebody please let me know..I have no idea and want to change it over YESTERDAY.
Thankx,
better sell it! you worry about things that don't matter!!!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:46 PM

OK,
I figured it out. That one square o ring goes over the wannabe nipple.

ANOTHER PROBLEM,.. this is supposed to be a drop in fit with no problems.
The water in fuel plug does not plug in. The pin-out is the same,.. and appears that it would plug in if I were to grind off some of either male or female (or both)..
Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 PM

OK,
I took a die grinder to the electrical plug on the new fuel filter housing until I could get it plugged in...I don't think I was supposed to do that...but hard wiring something that should have a plug is folly....which probably explains why there were no instructions...if there were...they would be on record telling you in writing to hardwire something you are going to have to twist tightly to screw in,..or unscrew.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I am pretty sure you are supposed to cut the connector and some wire off of your old housing pigtail and wire it to the new housing.

Part of the problem is this technically isn't a retrofit, it is a stock 94-96 housing that they figured out how to make work. It would be nice though if they even bothered to type up some instructions and put a photocopy in with the kit.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Fuel Leak

Originally Posted by Puke

Thankx,

SO Where was the original leak?? Was it on top of the fuel filter housing where the fuel heater wiring goes through the housing? Or somewhere else?
Just Curious.