24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Idles okay...touch the accelerator...rev city?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idles okay...touch the accelerator...rev city?!

I am a newbie to diesels. A couple of months ago I bought a 99 Quad with the Edge EZD1000. It starts fine and idles normal. When I barely touch the accelerator the RPM's go through the roof. It's like the turbo thinks it's under load. I disconnected the EZD but no change. It was intermittent a couple of weeks ago and now it is here to stay.

I have read a couple of threads referring to a dead peddle or the opposite a wide open throttle. This seems different. The other cases I read seem to occur briefly when tooling down the road.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 AM

Go see if you have any codes. You'll need a scanner for this. I'd guess that the APPS has an issue. Does it do this while driving, or just in neutral/park? Also, go up to your User CP, and fill out your sig, so we all know what you're running. Welcome to DTR!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:06 PM

No codes (at least no check engine). I have tried to run through the cycling of the ingition to show codes but have not been successful in doing this.

I've also tried the APPS reset procedure in the tech section without any effect.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1

Tate: (Thanks for the DTR welcome...I've updated my sig.) The symptoms are present in gear or out. While driving when depressing the accelerator the turbo spools up okay once the RPMs are up a bit the whole drivetrain lurches/lunges--like an underpowered gas burner when releasing the clutch.

I drove it a couple of short trips by being in a higher gear than normal (limiting the lurching) and depressing the accelerator allowing the turbo to wind up and depressing the clutch or taking it out of gear and coasting then repeat. The accelerator acts like an on off switch--at idle things act normal (climbing a small rise in a lower gear gives a little boost from the turbo); barely touch the accelerator and it acts like you are mashing it to the floor.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by pvcman
No codes (at least no check engine). I have tried to run through the cycling of the ingition to show codes but have not been successful in doing this.

I've also tried the APPS reset procedure in the tech section without any effect.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1

Tate: (Thanks for the DTR welcome...I've updated my sig.) The symptoms are present in gear or out. While driving when depressing the accelerator the turbo spools up okay once the RPMs are up a bit the whole drivetrain lurches/lunges--like an underpowered gas burner when releasing the clutch.

I drove it a couple of short trips by being in a higher gear than normal (limiting the lurching) and depressing the accelerator allowing the turbo to wind up and depressing the clutch or taking it out of gear and coasting then repeat. The accelerator acts like an on off switch--at idle things act normal (climbing a small rise in a lower gear gives a little boost from the turbo); barely touch the accelerator and it acts like you are mashing it to the floor.
On a 99 you need a scanner to read the codes. Key works for 2000-2002's. SNOKING
Old 05-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd say you need to get a multimeter and check the output of the APPS. Sounds like the reading is way off and when you press the accelerator so it detects the pedal is no longer at idle, it jumps to the value it's seeing.

Run a search on APPS calibration and you'll find instructions on which wires to check. The expected value is listed on the back side of the APPS when you remove it.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Here's the update at this point. I removed the APPS assembly and the sensor from the assembly. I checked the contacts with an ohmmeter. The ones that give the varying voltage from the potentiometer appear to function properly. I put the sensor back on and started the truck and manually adjusted the sensor with a screwdriver. It worked as it was supposed to. I put the assembly back on and then the problem returned.

I disassembled one more time looking more closely for issues. The contacts looked clean. There was one wire that had a weak spot on the insulation from being bent at a tight angle, but it still looked to be in good enough shape. I taped it up. I went back through checking the sensor on the ohmmeter. Again, it appeared to be working okay.

Once again I manually manipulated the sensor again after starting the truck. This time I "played around with the wires" (bent and wiggled to be technical) to see if there was an intermittent connection. Everything continued to work okay. I have driven the truck twice today on short trips and it's working okay. Not sure if I really fixed anything or not or if the problem will return. If it does I think I will replace the sensor.

BTW, every parts place I called said that the APPS is a dealer part. Anybody have another source. I will check with Cummins also as they typically beat the dealer and are very prompt in delivery--I can get it next day via UPS ground.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:33 PM

FWIW, only place I could get it was from the dealer. Cummins didn't carry them, said that once dodge got their mitts on the engines, they changed some electronics, so its a dealer only item.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:03 PM

I do not know how this compares with DC price, but:
http://www.scheiddiesel.com/cummins_engine_parts.htm
http://www.frontpagecart.com/app/net...ductID=3357489

SNOKING
Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine for my '99 from Cummins Southern Plains a few years ago. Since they are about $350 now, I think I would do a lot of tweaking on it before I bought a new one.