24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How long to warm up with block heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Mine is usually good to go after 2 hours.

Hey Jrs, Is the load on the batteries as bad after start up whit the alternator assisting, or is it still the same draw as if cold starting?
The alternator is not capable of sustaining the entire draw of the grid heaters. This is why its critical to have batteries in tip top condition. Also, if your simply driving a few miles and then shutting down after the grid heaters have cycled for a long time then the batteries will not have had enough time to fully recover from the load.

And as jrs_dodge_diesel replied, the block heater is not thermostatically controlled. When its on, its on.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
As far as the block heater cycling, unless it was modified, it never cycles. There is no thermostat to control the block heater, it is wired straight to the plug. So if it is plugged in, it's on the entire time.
i'll have to check my manual on that
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
The IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor is one of the triggers for cycling the grid heaters after starting. The block heater warms up the engine, and also the intake (and IAT sensor) enough to not need the grid heaters before starting. Which is why you only only get a 2 second WTS light.

After starting is different because now you are pulling cold air through the intake and the IAT senses that and signals the ECM. THe ECM checks a few other things (coolant temp, and vehicle speed), and determines whether or not to cycle the grid heaters for assisting with engine warm up. This is why the grids can cycle after warmup, even though they were not used for starting.

Once the coolant reaches 140ºF, or truck speed reaches 20-25 MPH, the ECM stops cycling the grid heaters.

As far as the block heater cycling, unless it was modified, it never cycles. There is no thermostat to control the block heater, it is wired straight to the plug. So if it is plugged in, it's on the entire time.
what happens when you put a pot of water on a burner? eventually it boils......... why doesn't my dodge boil after being plugged in for a week i'm just thinking.....don't mind me
Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 AM

i checked my manual, and it says nothing about being regulated, so i suppose the volume of coolant in the system would prevent it from boiling ......i'll check the temperature in the morning......... it's been plugged in for 3 days so it should be pretty warm
Old 11-29-2010, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts
At 20 degrees, I believe even if the block heater was plugged it would still cycle. the "Grid Heater" before the first fire up!
I keep my truck plugged in all night and it does cycle at 20 degrees.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
i checked my manual, and it says nothing about being regulated, so i suppose the volume of coolant in the system would prevent it from boiling ......i'll check the temperature in the morning......... it's been plugged in for 3 days so it should be pretty warm
i checked it this morning and the coolant was 51 degrees.so it must cycle
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It doesn't cycle...if you replace one you will see that all it is comprised of is a heating element and a power cord, there is no thermostat or switch of any kind on it. My guess is the heat loss from the block and radiator plus the amount of coolant keeps it from overheating.

I use one of these bad boys instead of a timer on mine http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/blheco.html I love that I can leave my truck plugged in ALL the time and it ONLY operates when needed so my truck is ready to go 24 hours a day

Unlike a timer that will cycle daily, I can leave this thing plugged in for months and it only cycles as needed by the actual air temp rather than a timer.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I think we need do get on the same page when we are talking what is cycling!

I'm talking the intake manifold grid heater when it's 20 degrees out and the truck has been plugged in all night. I still believe that the "grid heater" comes on when you first turn on the ignition switch. in this situation.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm talking the intake manifold grid heater when it's 20 degrees out and the truck has been plugged in all night. I still believe that the "grid heater" comes on when you first turn on the ignition switch. in this situation.
Yes.....the grid heaters will come on no matter if its plugged in or not. The only factor which determines whether or not the grids cycle before the engine starts is the intake manifold temperature. The ECM does not know if its plugged in or not. If its plugged in for at least a few hours then the intake manifold temperature should be about 100* which would stop the grid heater from cycling pre-startup. BUT, as soon as you start the engine the intake temps are going to drop and cause the grid heater to cycle while the engine is running until the intake temps reach the desired temp or you drive faster than 20 MPH. Whatever outside temp it takes for that to happen is another question.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had it come on when the trucks been plugged in all night, down to -20C. Below that, it might come on for about 10 seconds. At the temp you are talking about, it won't come on.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry I didn't update my signature.
I am indeed no longer in burbank, I am near Salt lake City, UT.

I ended up getting new batteries last week anyway....I forgot to leave the heaters on one time before starting and it would only "click" so that was the end of it. When I need to get to work,..I need to get to work. I had them do an amp test on the batts and they were only about 30 percent power. Luckily they were partially under warranty so the new ones were about $35 each due to being pro-rated.

Even when my block heater is on all night, it has always cycled the intake heater anyway when I start it. The voltmeter goes up and few seconds, then down....up until I hit about 20 miles per hour....After than they must automatically turn off or something because it then just sits and a little over fourteen volts and stays there.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Puke
Sorry I didn't update my signature.
I am indeed no longer in burbank, I am near Salt lake City, UT.

I ended up getting new batteries last week anyway....I forgot to leave the heaters on one time before starting and it would only "click" so that was the end of it. When I need to get to work,..I need to get to work. I had them do an amp test on the batts and they were only about 30 percent power. Luckily they were partially under warranty so the new ones were about $35 each due to being pro-rated.

Even when my block heater is on all night, it has always cycled the intake heater anyway when I start it. The voltmeter goes up and few seconds, then down....up until I hit about 20 miles per hour....After than they must automatically turn off or something because it then just sits and a little over fourteen volts and stays there.
That's good you got new batteries and they had some warranty!!! Being able to get to work is a good thing these days.

The intake heater grid will cycle till the engine gets up to temp. It's designed to help emissions as well by getting the engine up to operating temp. faster.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Puke
That's the difference. After you start the truck, you're pulling cold outside air into the intake, so the temp drops and the ECM will cycle the heaters till you're above 20MPH. But the heaters will not cycle prior to start since the block (and intake air) will be warmed up past the threshold for the heaters. This is where you're saving your batteries for the startup since you're not drawing them down with the intake heaters before you hit the starter.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Yes.....the grid heaters will come on no matter if its plugged in or not. The only factor which determines whether or not the grids cycle before the engine starts is the intake manifold temperature. The ECM does not know if its plugged in or not.
While I agree with you on the ECM and manifold temp points, in my case my grid heaters definitely do not come on at all when I'm plugged in for about 2 hours or more in the morning. Yesterday morning it was -5 F at my house and I had my timer set to switch on the block heater about 3 hours before I left.

However, in addition to the block heater I also have a pad heater on the oil pan, so that may be making a slight difference in the intake temp. the ECM sees.

There are probably a number of other factors which affect the intake manifold temp while the engine is plugged in, like what kind (if any) of radiator/grill block-off is in place, whether the truck has open wheel wells, or if it has the plastic covers in there, and of course if there's any wind.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
what happens when you put a pot of water on a burner? eventually it boils......... why doesn't my dodge boil after being plugged in for a week i'm just thinking.....don't mind me
I was away for the past week but I wanted to comment on this.

750 Watts = 2559 BTU's

The smallest burner on my gas stove puts out 5000 BTU's (about 1,465 Watts).

That small 750 Watt block heater gets to heat up 6 gallons of coolant, plus 900 lbs of cast iron. That is why the coolant does not boil. Just enough of a heater to get it warm, but nowhere nearly enough power to get any coolant boiling. Another factor here is that the coolant circulates in the block due to natural convection when the heater is on too.

Midnite, you are correct, there are a number of other variables and environmental factors at play in how well the block heater warms up the engine and affects the grid heaters.

Quick Reply: How long to warm up with block heater