Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Hard start like truck has hole in fuel line (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/hard-start-like-truck-has-hole-fuel-line-217940/)

BlackCloud#2 09-22-2008 12:33 PM

Hard start like truck has hole in fuel line

When I go to start my pickup it starts really hard like the truck is loosing fuel pressure or there is a hole in the line and I can't find any leaks or holes anywhere. It isn't throwing any codes that would say it is the fuel system. Any one had this problem, it just started a week ago, and does it somewhat sparadically.

scottsjeeprolet 09-22-2008 12:36 PM

What kind of fuel pressure do you have?

xtoyz17 09-22-2008 12:38 PM

Is it after sitting for awhile, or does it not matter?

BlackCloud#2 09-23-2008 12:05 AM

The fuel pressure is good 18 psi when idling and 15 down the road, but now i am finding that the fuel tank is becoming pressurized.

scottsjeeprolet 09-23-2008 05:51 AM

Last time we had that happen it was the injector hold down bolts. They didn't get tightened down. Check your hold down bolts, if they are ok then it could be an injector oring.

xtoyz17 09-23-2008 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCloud#2 (Post 2219081)
The fuel pressure is good 18 psi when idling and 15 down the road, but now i am finding that the fuel tank is becoming pressurized.

Originally Posted by xtoyz17 (Post 2218273)
Is it after sitting for awhile, or does it not matter?

Never answered? If it's after sitting for awhile it's some sort of air leak. If it's sporadic and independent of time sitting it might be an injection pump.

scottsjeeprolet 09-23-2008 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17 (Post 2219166)
Never answered? If it's after sitting for awhile it's some sort of air leak. If it's sporadic and independent of time sitting it might be an injection pump.

An IP problem wouldn't pressurize the fuel tank. Gotta be an injector related issue. Cross over tubes, oring,washer, hold down bolts. Things you need to check.

xtoyz17 09-23-2008 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet (Post 2219322)
An IP problem wouldn't pressurize the fuel tank. Gotta be an injector related issue. Cross over tubes, oring,washer, hold down bolts. Things you need to check.

Isn't the tank always pressurized to some degree? After all, the tank is sealed and you have return pressure?

On the other hand, isn't there a breather on the sending unit that should NOT have the cap on it, so that the lift pump can never pull vacuum? Should the opposite be true (not being able to pressurize tank)?

Just asking questions here, I honestly don't know and am curious...

Shawn

scottsjeeprolet 09-23-2008 10:49 AM

The tank is vented otherwise it would explode or implode with the temp changes or as the tank drew empty it would collapse the tank.

Busboy 09-23-2008 11:13 AM

I notice you have a FP gauge, did you use an isolator? If so the grub screw (Allen head) for bleeding is supposed to have a ball bearing under the screw. If you took it out the ball could have fallen out. The grub screw will seal enough to prevent a leak but allow air in over night.