24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

hard start help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hard start help

ever since I got the vp44 replaced and new injectors the truck has never fired right off, before this it always did

the pump and injectors , big line kit , draw straw, frame mounted lift pump, new cummins engine ecm with all dodge updates installed at the time by dodge dealer, were all done same time several years back and the actual shut off issue then was not the vp44 but a bad fuel sender saying I had 1/4 tank at empty

the vp44 and rv275 injectors were fro pensicola diesel , this work was performed at a cummins certified shop, like I said its been a long time butover time the hard starts gotten to the point that I found that im losing prime in the system

from cold start if I bump the key it will run 20 psi on the fuel gauge, crank the hell out of it and it will finily start and run rough for a few seconds chugging white smoke then smooth out, I am guessing this is the air bleeding from the injectors

when running I also hear an intermittent miss at idle that's always been there since the vp44 and injectors were done

I added a anti backflow between the tank and lift pump, and unhooked the e z edge for good measure

the truck sits a lot since 2009 but only recently has gotten this bad

I have a new fass pump but don't want to throw it on if I don't need to, once running the trucks fine

I also did find the banjo bolt on back of head loose along with the fittings at the t on the return line at rear of block

i do get a stuck injector pump code , and when i shut it off and turn key on i can watch the fuel gauge go down pretty rapidly

any help would be great as i cant afford to randomly throw parts at this or pay a shop endless diagnosis hours that i can do myself
Old 07-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There was one time I was getting that type of problem and it turned out being the cover on my vp-44. Technically, I think you're supposed to replace the whole vp44 because it's "not repairable'..However,.. I think I just used RTV silicone (been a LONG time so I don't even recall exactly what it looks like) and that fixed it.
One thing I must mention,.. About a year ago I changed my fuel filter setup to the earlier one that takes a screw on fuel filter that looks like an oil filter.. It has behaved MUCH better since then. When I changed my lift pump,..I no longer had to open an injector and crank it to get it running,.. When I change the fuel filter...I no longer have to crank the motor with an injector open to get it running. If I had ANY idea how much better the older style was I would have done it the day I bought the truck.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:49 PM

Thanks, what do you mean by the cover

At this point ive killed the batteries and am jumping it, need to buy batteries
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Could be bad batteries...is the intake heater operating properly?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 PM

One or both batteries is bad now from the excessive cranking, heat plate functions fine im starting her with a jump pack when i need her for now
Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 PM

Unhooked the batteries, load test on pass side dropped from 12 to 8 volt, drivers side from 12 to instant 0 volts

2. New batteries today and fired right up, i am not convinced this is the only problem but im sure its a big part
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (07-23-2017)