Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Hard start? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/hard-start-216170/)

krawler-N-tow 09-04-2008 11:43 AM

Hard start?

This started happening about 2wks after I installed my injectors. The truck turns over but won't start until the 2cnd or 3rd try and only happens on the first start of the day. I know my starter contacts are going bad but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it since it is turning over? Thanks for the help.

dozer12216 09-04-2008 04:33 PM

Could you have a weak battery or poor connections from the earlier repair? Is it possible that when replacing injectors the tube or injector seals were compromised and one is leaking down. Are the tube fittings snug enough. It would probablly be a good ideal to check lift pump pressure. Make sure it is about 8-10 psi on dead engine test. Check for fault coldes also.

krawler-N-tow 09-04-2008 11:22 PM

Not sure what earlier repair you're speaking of. As I recall amps were good but I'm still running the stock batteries from 6yrs ago. I figured I would run them until I noticed a problem. FP is normal as well, I did have a leak on the #6 line but I took it apart checked everything put it back together and no more leak?

Diesel Doc 09-04-2008 11:53 PM

sounds like something is leaking down to me you may have a fuel line leaking back to the tank so that you are losing prime. Check everything twice.

fireram 09-07-2008 04:42 PM

HUh.. I am having the same problem as well. In the morning it will crank and crank and crank. I watch the fuel pressure drop from 14 to about 5 or 6 when it starts to crank, and go back up to 14 when I stop. It usually take about 3 or 4 tries to get it to light. And I usually need to give the fuel peddle just a little push as well. Once running fuel pressure goes back to 14, and at WOT drops to around 8. The lift pump is new, the last one would drop to 0psi while cranking..

If you have figured out your problem let me know. I have never had other engine work done..

fireram 09-11-2008 10:00 AM

I took out the overflow valve today. It looked ok, gave it a blast of cleaner and compressed air, put it back in. My pump pressure climed up to a full 15psi, and would not fall below 10 at wot..

So i am guessing my problem was some crud, cant tell until tomoro morning...

Best of luck.

REDNECK-WELDING 09-22-2008 01:14 PM

any luck. what was the result the next day

fireram 09-23-2008 12:14 PM

Well.. That did not fix the problem....

The fuel return line check valve located on the VP44 can NOT hold a prime due to a small hole drilled into the side of the valve....

I did find a small pinhole leak in the return fuel line, just below the banjo fitting, it is on order and will be replaced in a couple days....

Not sure that was the hard start problem tho....

fireram 09-25-2008 08:45 AM

Replaced the fuel line from overflow valve to T, whent rather easy, This morning the truck started right up.

Even with the aditional check valve located in the fuel line, just after the carter pump, with the tiny leak in the return fuel line, I would have to bump and let the pump prime the line before cranking, or I would have to crank and crank. Even after bumping the pump, it would take quite a few cranks to get her to fire.

Now, it fires right up, like it used to.

I will leave the check valve in line, as it did not affect the pressure at all...

krawler-N-tow 10-16-2008 10:20 AM

Pretty sure my problem is related to my #6 injector leaking at the head. Bad part is I've had it apart twice and didn't see anything wrong anywhere. I'm pretty confident its the crossover tube but I'm really not sure how to handle that since I can't see back there! [laugh]Man thats frustrating. If anyone has any tips on this post'm up. I"m getting ready to tear it down again[yuk]Thanks, Josh