Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   hard cold start (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/hard-cold-start-224093/)

koontzy00 11-21-2008 08:07 PM

hard cold start

started having trouble last feb starting truck when its below 32 degrees. it would crank over very slow 5-10 sec before it would start. replaced batteries, had starter rebuilt. that helped a little but didnt seem to start near as good as my brothers 2002 ctd. if i plug it in it will start ok. now the last few week it is doing the same thing again. i think the grid heaters are working ok. would they cause slow craking if they are not working right. or is a leaking injector a cause. any help is appreciated. i cant plug my truck in at the job site. some times there is no electric

nickg 11-21-2008 09:48 PM

if its turning slow and you have replaced the starter and batterys, try cleaning/checking all the grounds and cables themselves, something is drawing current, add and extra ground from the batterys to the engine block, sometimes corrosion can wick under the cable insulation and cause hard starting, your likely to find the corrosion in the cables near the batterys

koontzy00 11-23-2008 07:34 PM

i checked all the grounds were they bolt to the frame and cleaned them. i changed oil and put in 5w 40 rotella synthetic . it seemed to start easyer this morning but it is supposed to be 20 tomorrow morning. i think i will replace the ground wires just to be sure that there is no corrosion. i am getting 10.47 volts to the grid heaters. well see what happens in the morning. thanks![coffee]

1-5-3-6-2-4 11-23-2008 10:53 PM

anything below full battery voltage at the grid heater indicates a problem. you should see 0.1v drop at most through the relay. and if 10.4v is your battery voltage then thats your problem right there.

nitrousn 11-24-2008 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4 (Post 2290347)
anything below full battery voltage at the grid heater indicates a problem. you should see 0.1v drop at most through the relay. and if 10.4v is your battery voltage then thats your problem right there.

10.4 with the heaters activated is about normal due to the high amp draw.

koontzy00 11-24-2008 05:27 PM

my battery voltage is 12.48 without engine running. i checked my brothers truck. it draws the same volts at the gird heater as my truck does down to around 10.47. the truck seem to start good this morning. it was 20 out and the truck sat for 11 hours so i hope i fixed my problem. thanks for the input!

nitrousn 11-24-2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by koontzy00 (Post 2291135)
my battery voltage is 12.48 without engine running. i checked my brothers truck. it draws the same volts at the gird heater as my truck does down to around 10.47. the truck seem to start good this morning. it was 20 out and the truck sat for 11 hours so i hope i fixed my problem. thanks for the input!

If the problem persists and you are sure the grid heaters have worked disconnect your Edge box and try it for a few days.

What does your fuel pressure read when its acting up?

Beatle 11-24-2008 05:59 PM

12 degress

Originally Posted by koontzy00 (Post 2291135)

12 degrees here today 2001 dodge I wait for the heaters to cycle. Then I turn the key and in less than one crank over it`s running. Also daytime running lights are on in this case in Canada while it is cycling the grids. The truck cranks over maybe once and it always comes to life. What is the charge rate to the batteries while running?. Try a jump start with your brothers truck to see if it starts faster in the cold mornings with his truck running. Havent plug it in yet goes down below 0 f later in the year. 5w40 Val blue.

koontzy00 11-25-2008 05:58 PM

i will keep these things in mind. its not supposed to get below 30 here for a few days. it is starting better but still think there is some improvement. i will have to wait for a 10 and below day to see. i have started the truck in -15 without pluging it in. it was only 32 out when it started really hard after sitting 10 hour at work during the day. it sounded worse than a powerstroke starting with weak batteries. i will check and see what my fp is. when i first start it for the first 1-2 sec the edge monitor beep so it has to be below 5psi. thats what i have the alert set at.