24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Going on 3rd Day in 90 Degree weather with Front Brakes & Caliper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going on 3rd Day in 90 Degree weather with Front Brakes & Caliper Replacement

I need some help on figuring out what is going on with my front brakes.
This weekend I replaced the calipers, rotors & pads because my brakes were dragging. I installed all the new parts and then got rained a out on Saturday and had to finish up Sunday. Bled the brakes and got a good pedal and it seemed fine on the test drive. Went to the store and when leaving notice a dragging then free then dragging again. After going down the road it seemed to quit dragging. I do remember rushing because of the rain and putting the clips on wrong on the pass. side. The 3 tabs were on the bottom and not on the top where they are supposed to be. Do you think this may be causing what I am experiencing or could it be something else? I bled the calipers and the rears like I was supposed to. I'm not sure what else it could be unless I didn't bleed the system enough?
I have changed rotors and pads on my truck plenty of times and never had any issues, but never replaced the calipers and of course now I have issues.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!
Any advise would be appreciated!
Now it's Monday and I had to take off work to figure this out! I am going out to jack it up and switch the clips right now. I will check back often to see if anyone replies.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
change your brake hoses sounds like one has collapsed inside
Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 PM

Agree with the hose replacement - I've had this issue with several vehicles. I now make a habit of changing hoses anytime I change calipers
Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
bleeding brakes is really simple..........i just replaced the ms and rear wheel cylinders on my'93 dakota.... i left the bleed valves open until fluid started to come out, then i closed all but the right rear....then the wife pushed the brake pedal ....no air, same with the rest ,two small bubbles came out of the left rear, all the others were clearso simple even a retired welder can do it
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM

One thing to watch out for is antiseize on the guide rods. This will make the caliper not "float" correctly, and I've seen it a few times. Folks occasionally mistake it for a lubricant, which it is NOT.

A wheel bearing going out can make the brake drag, as well as a warped rotor.

What are the symptoms of dragging? Sound? Hot brakes when you've not been using them?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM

My boost gauge is running higher than normal as if I were pulling a trailer. I can "feel" the dragging while driving. A buddy told me it could be my rear brakes as I haven't replaced them yet. This weekends project. I can smell gear lube in the rear wheel well. After 22 mile drive from work mostly highway the front rims are warm as normal, but the rear rims are hot to the touch. I have all new rotors, calipers & pads up front, just put them on 2 days ago. Didn't install new front brake lines though.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM

Found out my Drivers side rear drum is locking up due to possibly a bad axle seal. Now I'll have to try and replace that, hopefully it's not too much of a project. I try to work on everything myself instead of paying the shop.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Replaced the rear shoes, axle seal & wheel cylinders....That was the culprit! Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I appreciate it.