Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   getting paranoid about my lift pump - a clear test procedure please? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/getting-paranoid-about-my-lift-pump-clear-test-procedure-please-310182/)

cupressus 02-14-2013 04:28 PM

getting paranoid about my lift pump - a clear test procedure please?

Sorry for blasting the forum, guys. I'm just trying to get familiar.

I went to o'riley autoparts today and borrowed their fuel pressure tester and couldn't get the gauge to read. The writeup in my haynes manual makes it sound like the gauge hose should thread on like butter to the fitting on the banjo on my VP44. Fuel did dribble out of the test port when i unthreaded the tester, but no read at all.

I have some driving to do with the truck tomorrow night and a job to complete on Monday. The truck behaves itself fine - I haven't had any issues, but then I drive like a grandma. If I wait til my ISSPROs arrive, will I be risking a dead VP44?

Thanks all,
C

BigIron70 02-14-2013 05:42 PM

I always test flow rate first.
Or go to this link for more info

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=301725

45oz in 25 seconds min flow rate

lovinCTD59 02-14-2013 06:00 PM

Was your truck running while you had the gauge on it? If the truck was not running or the starter was not 'bumped' the lift pump will not be running. When the starter is bumped the liftpump will run for about 20 to 30 seconds.. just a thought...
If your completly without fuel pressure, then yes your vp44 doesn't have long to live.

Sea:\>Drive 02-15-2013 12:53 PM

Plus that test port has a schraeder valve in it too that needs to be depressed for the pressure to come out.

carl48 02-15-2013 05:06 PM

you were connected to the Schroeder valve not the banjo bolt. as sea said there is a pin like on a tire valve stem that needs to be pushed in to allow fuel to go to the gauge. there should be 15 psi on the valve with the engine or pump running. just push the pin in, it should spray fuel everywhere. the Schroeder valve is the same as used on the old freon r12 and r22, if you have a old fill hose attach a gauge to the end that had the can attachment on it. the isspro should come with a tapped banjo bolt for the vp44 and does not use the Schroeder valve. if the isspro comes with a isolator, do not use it, it causes more problems than it is worth. irregardless if the isspro is mechanical or electric use a snubber or needle valve. there was a very inexpensive better way than the isspro. does not look as pretty but many times better. if you do not have at least good spray out of the valve cancel the trip.

bigfish95971 02-18-2013 03:11 AM

The easiest place to test pressure is the 1/8th in pipe plugs on top of the fuel filter bracket.

SIXSLUG 02-18-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by bigfish95971 (Post 3167474)
The easiest place to test pressure is the 1/8th in pipe plugs on top of the fuel filter bracket.

24V don't have this, use the shcraeder port on the back of the filter canister. I bought a test gauge and checked mine every month til I installed a fuel pressure gauge.....about $30.

rickf 02-18-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 3167518)
24V don't have this, use the shcraeder port on the back of the filter canister. I bought a test gauge and checked mine every month til I installed a fuel pressure gauge.....about $30.

Mine has two pipe plugs, one before the filter and one after, both on top of the filter housing. I understand the housing changed somewhere along the line so I don't know after 98.5.

SIXSLUG 02-18-2013 06:57 PM

Not on mine, or a few I have seen.

Must have changed out like you said...