24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Fuel Pump

My lift pump crapped out at 41,786. It wasn't covered under any warranty or anything. I then found out about a recall and unfortunately wasn't covered either. Was I dupped or miss the boat somewhere?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:02 AM

iaredneck72, you didn't say what year your truck is, and you don't have have anyything in your &quot;signature&quot; - but unless your 41,000 mile truck is over 7 years old,or had a different warranty from mine - your lift pump SHOULD have been covered under the factory powertrain warranty.<br><br>Update on my truck: My wife picked it up from the shop today (I work nights, and was still asleep), and my daughter drove it to work. A little while later she called home to report that it STILL has the same problem!<br><br>I guess we take it back to the dealer in the morning. <br>If they can't figure it out in less than a day, I *ain't* leaving it at the shop over the holiday weekend. I'll take it to another dealer in the Pensacola, FL area next week.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:25 AM

ProspectorTim, This is just a suggestion but something you may consider. If the dealer keeps giving you the run around you might want to see if there is a Cummins shop close by. I'm sure the guys a Cummins would have your problem diagnosed in no time and you could be back on the road. <br><br>Here is a link that might help you out.<br><br>Cummins Distributors<br><br>Hope that helps.<br><br>DB
Old 07-06-2003, 10:59 PM

I wouldn't say the dealers are giving me the run-around. The first dealer thought they fixed it when they detemined that lift pump was bad and replaced it. The second dealer tested everything and replaced the injection pump and thought THEY fixed it. I took it back Thursday morning, but there was no way they would be able to diagnose it in one day and I wasn't going to wait there another week - so HERE I sit, in Florida ... thinking I just might &quot;live with it&quot; until I get back home to Colorado.<br><br>I have a new lift pump, new injector pump, and a new filter. No obvious external leak, though I do smell diesel fuel sometimes. When I told the last dealer it was still hard-starting, they said that everything is good up to the injector pump; that it may be a leak at an injector tube or something else downstream of the I-pump. This condition is not going to harm the new injector pump; and I've checked &amp; smelled the oil and it seems ok, so I just might keep on truckin' (and thnking) until I get home and can get SERIOUS about finding the problem.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:12 AM

Uh OH!! My 99' has over 93K on it and still no symptoms. Bought it used, 2 yrs. old with about 21K miles. Have used it as a daily rider and pulling my 7k boat. <br><br>You can see my upgrades in my signature, however I did not pierce the pump wire so I think the Comp is supposed to act like the EZ. (future piercing after tranny upgrade)
Old 07-08-2003, 06:13 PM

1 1/2 yrs and 31,000 miles after my lift pump (P/N 5015723.AC) crapped out, DC is finally going to ante up and reimburse me for the lift pump replacement. 2 phone calls to DC totaling 1 1/2 hours finally set the record straight that it IS covered under the 5/100K warranty. First they said it was, then it wasn't (2 times), then finally the customer service rep said it was and to send in my receipt and cancelled check. He also tried to tell me my '00 was a 12 valve and that the fuel pump was located in fuel tank. Ya gotta wonder when the consumer knows more about the product than the manufacturer.