Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Front Rotor"s (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/front-rotor-s-107909/)

Truckman 07-02-2006 01:28 PM

Front Rotor"s

Had a Scary thing happen to me 4 days ago,,
My Wife left for a meeting at work (25 Min Away) 5 Min after she left she was calling me from a pay phone at the gas station on the interstate highway (we have no cell Phones) She says he jeep was popping,backfiring,,running real bad..I knew right away it needed a Cap And Rotor,,so I go get her and take her to her meeting,,I dropped her off turned around to go to the local Napa for jeep parts,, As I put my left signal on downshift to third a tap the brake there is a Loud BANG and the truck pulls HARD to the right,almost hit the car passing me on the right, No Brakes,,,SO I pulled into the next parking lot to see what was wrong,,I could not see anything wrong,,So Limped into the Napa store, Got jeep Parts,,Limped the truck home with the E Brake,,Quarter mile from home the right front wheel feels like it is coming off,,BANGING and Pulling the truck to the right,Without touching brake pedal,, I got the truck home jack up the right front ,Pull wheel to find The Brake rotor Broken In Half,, [verymad] The Cooling fins Rotted out and I now have two separate disk's So When I hit the brakes one disk would stop and the other would rattle your teeth loose as the ABS Kicked in then you had no brakes... NOW,I have no vehicle to drive and the Jeep is on the Highway 5 Miles away,,,Put your walking shoes on and START WALKING,, Finally got to jeep,Installed cap and rotor started right up drove to pick up the wife (1 Hour Late), Go to Napa get rotors,Go to Package store get Tequila,,Call in sick from work,,Drink Tequila Get Drunk to wake up with a HangOver to work on the truck for 4 Hours on 1 side and 2 Hours on the other side to replace rotors,,,, Just had the rotors Machined 2 weeks ago,,WELL within specs,,Didn't even notice cooling fins rotted. [duhhh]

SO To ALL You folks out there ,, [director] CHECK YOUR COOLING FINS,, There are photos in my gallery..

BigBlue 07-02-2006 04:20 PM

Dang. I don't think that that's supposed to happen. I've got 103k on mine and they don't look anything like that. That's ok, I'm replacing them this week anyways. I'm glad that no one was hurt.

Truckman 07-02-2006 06:21 PM

180000 Miles on these,, Right side rotted Left side looked OK,, BUT Changed it AnyWay,,

1-2-3 07-02-2006 07:52 PM

Brake rotors don't rot out. I'm thinking your rotors were not withing spec and got turned too thin.

Truckman 07-02-2006 07:58 PM

Thats Funny

Originally Posted by charliez
Brake rotors don't rot out. I'm thinking your rotors were not withing spec and got turned too thin.

So we Machined them to much which made the breaking surface thinner and that made the cooling fins break [duhhh] . The rust had nothing to do with it?
Thats Funny,, Have you seen The Photos?
Thanks

BigBlue 07-02-2006 09:01 PM

He might have a point. My rotors look the same way but they are still alright. One way or another, that shouldn't have happened though.

mini14 07-03-2006 10:37 PM

just replaced mine cauze ceramic pads from napa warped the _hit outa them, the local guy refused to cut the old rotors cauz he said the heat spots were tooo hard to cut. mine were also rusted pretty bad on the fins.

Dieseldude4x4 07-03-2006 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Dang. I don't think that that's supposed to happen. I've got 103k on mine and they don't look anything like that. That's ok, I'm replacing them this week anyways. I'm glad that no one was hurt.

He's in the NE, you're in the SW. Big difference. Seen it before. Like he says, check them out (especially in the NE). I pull the calipers every summer and clean and grease the sliding surfaces and the slide bolts. 172000 on mine and the original factory pads are still well over half there.

Joe Diesel 07-04-2006 07:09 AM

yup thats what my mechanic said about mine, there not as bad as Truckmans but I got a new set and I'm gonna change them tonight

OUTDOORSMAN 07-04-2006 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by charliez

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/..._Rotor-med.JPG

salt!

Truckman 07-04-2006 11:04 AM

Lucky

Originally Posted by DieselDude
yup thats what my mechanic said about mine, there not as bad as Truckmans but I got a new set and I'm gonna change them tonight

Hey Outdoorsman Nice Photo!!,,

Yes Sir ,, Gotta Love That Salt, Good Ole New England!!!!

DieselDude,, you are lucky you have an 02,,,,,, Much Easier to do, [verymad]

Good Luck

1-2-3 07-04-2006 11:07 AM

If his rotors rot out because of rust/salt, he's not going to be questioning it because salt/rust dosen't just choose rotors to rot out, it attatck all of the vehicloe, and if that's so any person should be able to see this and question it. Also, his words "Just had the rotors Machined 2 weeks ago,,WELL within specs,,Didn't even notice cooling fins rotted. "

Rust isn't goint to attatck these things like that in two weeks. If they we're rusted enough to make them fail in two weeks, any competent shop would not touch them.

OUTDOORSMAN 07-04-2006 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Truckman
Hey Outdoorsman Nice Photo!!,,

Yes Sir ,, Gotta Love That Salt, Good Ole New England!!!!

DieselDude,, you are lucky you have an 02,,,,,, Much Easier to do, [verymad]

Good Luck

Salt [verymad] i should check mine out. i have a enclosed trailer that we use for goose hunting and one of the brakes locked up and i cant free the drum. it is gonna take a big hammer. lol

charliez, his drum didnt just rust out. over years the rust broke the metal down and this is a fine expamle of it.

1-2-3 07-04-2006 11:59 AM

his drum didnt just rust out

Exactly. He also said he had them turned two weeks prior. If the rust was bad enough to make them fall apart, it had to be present two weeks before, so they should have never been turned, they should have been replaced.

...and to answer a previous question, no, I didn't see the pics before my first comment. After looking at them, you can plainly see they did rust away, but along with my latest replys, they should have never been taken to a shop to be turned in the condition they were in.

OUTDOORSMAN 07-04-2006 12:12 PM

um i meant rotor. my drum is siezed on the trailer. have a nice holiday charliez :cool: