24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front caliper brake slides question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Front caliper brake slides question

The other weekend , I had to change rotors on my 99. Luckily I remember someone explaining the trick to use the power steering to get them off I changed pads as well. The caliber bolts came out fine but those slides inside the rubber pretty much took a big hammer to knock them out . I sanded them down and cleaned them up . Lubed them with high heat brake slide grease and one of them still took a hammer to smash back in . So my question.... are the rubber seals and slides shot? Is it time to replace the seals, slides and bolts perhaps ? Thanks
Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
You will need to pull the rubber part, and remove the rust that has formed between the caliper and the rubber.
Normally there is no need to sand down the slides except for cleaning them.

The rust forms in the hole where the pin boots sit, and since the rust is much bigger than the steel it comes from the pin boots get compressed to a diameter that makes the slide pins stick in them.
I prefer to coat the holes in the caliper with a very thin layer of caliper paint after removing the rust. But you'll need to let the paint dry really good before reinstalling the boots, else the paint will glue them to the caliper.

HTH
The following 2 users liked this post by AlpineRAM:
leeboy (09-01-2017), nothingbutdarts (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the explanation and the diagram . Last question I have about this is , is it important for the steel sleeve ( not the bolt ) to slide easily back and fourth inside the rubber boots or is the sleeve just acting as a guide for the bolt ?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I grease everything, slide clips, tabs on caliper and sleeves....
The following users liked this post:
leeboy (09-01-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
You will need to pull the rubber part, and remove the rust that has formed between the caliper and the rubber.
Normally there is no need to sand down the slides except for cleaning them.

The rust forms in the hole where the pin boots sit, and since the rust is much bigger than the steel it comes from the pin boots get compressed to a diameter that makes the slide pins stick in them.
I prefer to coat the holes in the caliper with a very thin layer of caliper paint after removing the rust. But you'll need to let the paint dry really good before reinstalling the boots, else the paint will glue them to the caliper.

HTH
x2, good post, I've also found this to be the most important part of the job. I remove the rubber sleeve, then hone all the rust out of the bore with a stone on my die grinder. Then I treat the metal with Fluid Film. As mentioned, caliper paint would work great also.
The following users liked this post:
leeboy (09-01-2017)