Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Fried My engine (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/fried-my-engine-329512/)

Old Hippy 12-26-2017 05:07 PM

Fried My engine

OK I'm new to diesels and ignored a small oil leak. It turned into a huge oil leak and I fried my engine. The truck is in Laughlin Nevada at my daughters house. What I need is recommendations on a shop to do the repair. Laughlin is about 90 miles from Vegas and getting it there is no problem. Vegas is the largest town to where I, at But I can take it anywhere that can do the job.

Thanks in advance.[verymad][duhhh]

patdaly 12-28-2017 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Old Hippy (Post 3340960)
OK I'm new to diesels and ignored a small oil leak. It turned into a huge oil leak and I fried my engine. The truck is in Laughlin Nevada at my daughters house. What I need is recommendations on a shop to do the repair. Laughlin is about 90 miles from Vegas and getting it there is no problem. Vegas is the largest town to where I, at But I can take it anywhere that can do the job.

Thanks in advance.[verymad][duhhh]

Is this your 93 W350 or a 24 valve?

Midnite 12-28-2017 04:21 PM

What happened to the engine--did it seize up, or did you melt a hole in a piston maybe?

Old Hippy 12-29-2017 03:14 PM

My new truck is a 1998 24 valve. not sure how to change this on my profile. What happened is there is a seal between the vacuum pump and the power steering pump that was leaking a little bit. I took the truck on a short trip, like a dumb ***, and the seal failed completely and the oil was pumped out of the engine and the engine locked up. This was confirmed by a Cummins repair shop in Kingman. I'm now looking for a short block or a long block. There are so many on line that I'm unable to feel comfortable on picking one.

AlpineRAM 12-29-2017 05:40 PM

In my opinion (for what it's worth, I'm on a different continent) I would tear it down and check what can be salvaged.

This is an industrial engine- you can grind down the crankshaft, you can overbore the cylinders twice, after that you can sleeve the engine and rebore each sleeve twice etc.

If it is not a 53 block or a block with a hole it should be salvageable- and then you have a "new" engine with parts that are certifiable for the same warranty as you get with a new ISB in industrial applications.

I'd pull it myself or have an indy shop do that and get it appraised and rebuilt by a Cummins representative if you want to stay at stock power levels.

If you want to go wild, you can get it rebuilt by guys like Scheid's or other performance engine builders for the Cummins. ( but be prepared to shell out a lot of $$$ for a transmission, suspension, brakes... those things can be built to insane power levels.)

Since you ran it without oil you will have to expect that the turbo is also toast.
The camshaft will need to be inspected.

TGP 12-30-2017 07:49 AM

I would look and see if I could find a good used take out with documentation from a
Salvage yard.
Be about half the money.
Tom