Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Engine missing at 1200 -1400 RPM's (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/engine-missing-1200-1400-rpms-119547/)

keithw1975 10-27-2006 04:18 AM

I have had this for almost 5 years!!! Mine will have a miss every few seconds at idle and other times will idle rough and, as my uncle stated, sound like a valve is stuck. Loading it smooths it out. Letting the engine slow you down makes it even worse. Power is fine though but god do I hate the sound of it. Temperature makes no difference on mine and it does it at most rpms. This is a reman pump from Dodge that I had put on in 2002. In that time I have replaced an ECM, ECT sensor, IAT sensor, boost sensor, changed injectors, replaced crossover tubes, changed lift pumps and fuel tubing, checked grounds, replaced APPS, and had the head off and rebuilt after a turbo got sucked into the valves.

I am praying that when this VP44 bites the dust it will fix the problem.

Keith

kipo 10-27-2006 05:25 PM

Gene007:

I'm not sure if the problem was there before the new head gasket. I know when we buttoned everything back up, I ran it up to 2500 and that's when I noticed it. You can still hear it if I'm loaded real heavy and in a low gear, other than that it's tough to hear due to engine and road noise. But I can go out right now and rev up to 1800 and she'll do it every time. I had my extended warranty replace the dana 80 a year or so ago and they put on a new pcm? (one on firewall) due to the adjuster made my tech split the case looking for a chip. [duhhh] The tech told him no chip goes inside on a dodge only on a ford?? But they split it neverless. The pcm wasn't new but a testing unit from dodge. I'm hoping this is the culprit. Power is fine but like you guys said the sound is horrible. I had it at Dodge for a couple weeks and the blow down, blow by test came back over 50% on almost all cylinders. [yuk] So I know the compression is lower than it should be. If that has something to do with it, I don't know. Next big storm comes along, it's getting rebuilt with new pistons, rings, cam, and ported head. If that doesn't fix it, I'm buying a Toyota. [laugh] [laugh]

neveragain 10-27-2006 11:18 PM

Engine missing at ????? rpm.

I was able to borrow an oscilliscope from work some years ago and that told the story. The voltage is bad.

I meggered the alt 1000V. Was good.
The diodes checked out. Withing 0.048V
The capacitor was good. 15 MFD's
The batteries were good
The wave form comeing out of the alt loaded and no load was what I say in trade school of generators.nice 3 phase rectified.
But the voltage coming out at the bolt in the PDC has a bad load impressed into it. that comes across in the waveforms to the vp44.
I and we measured everything to the ground pin ????3 was it.
My fuel shut off was 1 volt peek to peek with most of it in the half volt pos and neg range.

No wonder that the engine has never produced the power that I paid for when I got the junk.

Forgive me MEOW! out with the cumeins and give me a real diesel engine.[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

If anyone does find the cause of this please keep me in mind.

dansdodgediesel 10-28-2006 04:10 AM

Has anyone thought to do a cylinder compression test? Make sure all the cylinder are even and running at the same level.
I would think it would be the compression or injectors or the mechanical of the v44. Why else would only one cyclinder drop out?

Dan

JD730 10-28-2006 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by dansdodgediesel (Post 1184967)
Why else would only one cyclinder drop out?

Dan

Mine drops #1 off and on, does it more when its warmed up. Crack the injector line to #1 and there is no fuel coming out, have someone bump the throttle and it will push fuel out of #1. Could be normal for my HRVP, but I don't think it should be.

kipo 10-29-2006 09:55 PM

I did the cylinder compression test. And the results were not good. I suspected this was the case due to the large amount of blow-by. That's why I said after I rebuild it and it doesn't fix it; I'm buying a Toyota. [guitar]

JVDodge 11-06-2006 06:58 PM

I dont't know what the magic is but I tried the very easy process of reseting the APPS and my truck doesn't miss any more and it shifts smoother. Check out the link on how to reset your APPS.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=122489

It claims to also improve fuel efficiency.

It's worth a try.........[guitar]

linetrash75 11-07-2006 05:09 PM

I've tried resetting apps no help. I'm buying some different injectors see if that helps.

Jed

johnh 11-07-2006 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by JVDodge (Post 1160331)
I have been reading the threads on this similar topic and wanted to post to querey the experts (as we all are).

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 with 160K miles. I have recently (5k mi ago) replaced both the lift pump and IP and installed a pressure gauge. I also have a chip that has been installed for ~ 3 years. The truck has been running excellent until a few weeks ago. I'm getting a hick-up type of missing at 1200 -1400 RPM's while cruising at ~45-55 MPH. Wondering if it could be fuel injector (have used injector cleaning addatives) or possible TPS problems?

I welcome your input............[duhhh]

i was just wondering , has any one with this problem checked the lift on the camshaft?????

linetrash75 11-08-2006 07:25 PM

No I haven't checked the cam but I can't see that being a problem with mine. As it idles smooth when not fully warmed up, and I can't tell that its missing any rpm above idle, heck the A/C compressor kicking on smooths it right out. I would think that a round lobe would show up when I adjusted the valves 1000 miles ago, althought sounds like some of these guys could check theirs, if they are missing above idle.

Jed

storx 11-08-2006 08:23 PM

i use to have a similar miss like most of yall that got slightly worse over time... but after someone sticking a scope to the power line to my brain box i notice there was electrical noise... i have since installed line filters and wrapped aluminum foil arould every ground and power wire in the engine bay and this miss stopped and has yet to come back either it also fixed some shift problems i had with my tranny....oh ya don't use the same ground that the ecu uses for the filter ground this kinda made the miss worse when i did it.... tell i changed the ground to the actual frame of the truck///

Gene007 11-09-2006 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by linetrash75 (Post 1201320)
No I haven't checked the cam but I can't see that being a problem with mine. As it idles smooth when not fully warmed up, and I can't tell that its missing any rpm above idle, heck the A/C compressor kicking on smooths it right out. I would think that a round lobe would show up when I adjusted the valves 1000 miles ago, althought sounds like some of these guys could check theirs, if they are missing above idle.

Jed

Jed, Mine did the exact same at idle, Idle good until warm. Any additional power such as the air conditioner compressor kicking in would smooth out the idle. I changed the compression rings on the bottom of the injectors. That stopped the miss at idle problem
Gene

runamuk 11-09-2006 01:03 AM

Just a few questions:

How many of you have actually replaced the battery cables?? the electronics on these things are off the hook so check all of your cables thoroughly for corosion!! Check with Ohm meter should not be more than 1 ohm per foot of cable.

Replaced the coolant temperature sensor?? This thing is one of the most over looked POS on the Cummins!!! Cheap fix if it works and cheap insurance if it does not!

Rick

Gene007 11-09-2006 01:11 AM

runamuk, I have cleaned and checked all grounds, added some. I've changed every sensor, including the temp. Just have to keep looking.

Gene