24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine cold starts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine cold starts.

I went on vacation for a few weeks and plugged in my 01. When I came back, it was unplugged. Not sure how long before I got there and it’s been in the negatives or low singles, but now she won’t turn over at alI and was thinking it may be the starter either too cold or going bad, possibly even the solenoid. Now she’s plugged in and still won’t start even with a jump. What do y’all think?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:15 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Dead batteries, with bad cells can't be jumped sometimes. Sometimes they can blow up, or damage the "jumping" vehicles electronics.

Put a tester (or volt meter) on the battery and see if you have any juice in it. Fully charged battery is 12.5 - 12.7v or so, Load test it if you can.

No clicky, no nothing ? bad connections at battery, or at starter, or bad grounds, or bad ignition switch.

Easy to jump the starter solenoid as well.

Start at the battery, make sure it's good, and work your way from there. I heard there was a good "starter" rebuild thread on here somewhere, but I can't remember just where I saw it..
The following users liked this post:
patdaly (01-13-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
How long has it been plugged in? If it's been that cold you will need probably at least 4 hours to warm things up in my experience. My guess is the battery is total dead either due to parasitic drain and/or the cold has zapped it down. I would remove the battery and bring it inside somewhere warm and charge it up.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Also BTW your truck being an 2001 it would be the 2nd Gen forum you'd really want, not us lowly and exceeding helpful 1st Gen'ers.
The following users liked this post:
oliver foster (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Why would you leave a truck plugged in for weeks???

Plugged in on a battery charger or the block hater?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Dead batteries, with bad cells can't be jumped sometimes. Sometimes they can blow up, or damage the "jumping" vehicles electronics.

Put a tester (or volt meter) on the battery and see if you have any juice in it. Fully charged battery is 12.5 - 12.7v or so, Load test it if you can.

No clicky, no nothing ? bad connections at battery, or at starter, or bad grounds, or bad ignition switch.

Easy to jump the starter solenoid as well.

Start at the battery, make sure it's good, and work your way from there. I heard there was a good "starter" rebuild thread on here somewhere, but I can't remember just where I saw it..
Batteries are brand new. No clicks, it’s wanting to crank but just not getting there.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
How long has it been plugged in? If it's been that cold you will need probably at least 4 hours to warm things up in my experience. My guess is the battery is total dead either due to parasitic drain and/or the cold has zapped it down. I would remove the battery and bring it inside somewhere warm and charge it up.
Been plugged in for over 16 hours. I’ll try that. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Why would you leave a truck plugged in for weeks???

Plugged in on a battery charger or the block hater?
Block heater.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I can see no real benefits from plugging in a truck longer than 4 or 5 hours except for the electric company who loves all the electricity you are using.
Maybe a benefit is the snow melts off your hood from the 1000 watt heater.

If it is really cold here, say 0F or below, I might plug my trucks block heater in for an hour or two before I fire it up in the morning.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I can see no real benefits from plugging in a truck longer than 4 or 5 hours except for the electric company who loves all the electricity you are using.
Maybe a benefit is the snow melts off your hood from the 1000 watt heater.

If it is really cold here, say 0F or below, I might plug my trucks block heater in for an hour or two before I fire it up in the morning.
I see what you’re saying but everyone is so fixated on the truck being plugged in for hours or days and I don’t know why, but that’s not the issue. The issue is, is it the starter/solenoid or dead batteries or even a dead cell. I have brand new optima reds, so that shouldn’t be the issue. I imagine it’s the solenoid not getting enough power because it’s turning, but not turning over, so it’s a power issue somewhere.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If you have good and charged batteries the truck should turn over easily at -25C (-13F) engine temperature.
Mine does start easily under these conditions with only a single optima red battery.
I'd start by checking the starter, maybe the brushes are worn or the contacts are bad. You can rebuild the stock starter with better contacts and new brushes for cheap.
I always had bad luck with aftermarket starters on these engines.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
If its trying to turn over but cant then weak batteries are the first step. Brand new or not...batteries can be weak from sitting or have a bad cell depleting their capacity. As stated by others, a Dodge Cummins ISB sitting in the cold weather overnight with properly charged good batteries and a functional grid heater system can still start without plugging in the block heater down to as cold as -20*F.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM

As a quick and dirty check for the batteries I use a test light across the battery and watch it while trying to start- it may go a little dim, but if it goes out or is just a tiny orange-red dot you are overtaxing the battery.
Either the battery isn't full, or it is bad, or you draw too many amps because your starter is shorting internally.
If the test light does not change appreciably, the starter does not draw much power, meaning it has lost some internal connection- like starter contacts or brushes, burnt armature etc.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:29 AM

It was the batteries. A new starter won’t hurt though. I’m gonna look into a new. Any suggestions on aftermarket or oem?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:25 AM

Refurbish the original starter yourself with a contact kit and brushes. They are good for almost eternity if refreshed on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Engine cold starts.