Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Engine codes 1688 & 1689 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/engine-codes-1688-1689-a-329866/)

99TurboRamMan 02-25-2018 12:58 PM

Engine codes 1688 & 1689

Just got back from town, pulled into drive, truck started acting sluggish, no acceleration. Check engine light comes on. Have a pockets scanner, and these 2 codes pop up. Do these codes mean my injection pump is shot. 1688- internal fuel injection pump controller failure. 1689-no communication between eco & injection pump module. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! It's a 1999 dodge 5.9 -24valve cummins.

johnh 02-25-2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 99TurboRamMan (Post 3344637)
Just got back from town, pulled into drive, truck started acting sluggish, no acceleration. Check engine light comes on. Have a pockets scanner, and these 2 codes pop up. Do these codes mean my injection pump is shot. 1688- internal fuel injection pump controller failure. 1689-no communication between eco & injection pump module. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! It's a 1999 dodge 5.9 -24valve cummins.

you need a new vp 44 injection pump

99TurboRamMan 02-25-2018 07:03 PM

Thanks! Thought so!😉

jrs_dodge_diesel 02-25-2018 08:36 PM

Almost certain you need a new VP44. If you want to be absolutely certain you can do the hot wire test:

Originally Posted by Blue Chip Diesel
HOT WIRE TEST - THE "FOR SURE TEST" TO DETERMINE IF THE VP44 IS WHY THE ENGINE WON'T START

It is very rare, but possible, for a problem with the wiring harness or the CAN Bus wires to prevent the engine from starting, so if you want to be 100% sure it IS the Injection Pump causing the no start, follow the following directions exactly, to be sure of not damaging a possibly good pump. This test POSITIVELY eliminates the possibility of overlooking an electrical problem caused by other components that could affect the start or run function of the VP44, as long as you have verified fuel delivery to the Injection Pump. Remove the electrical plug at the back of the Injection Pump and hot wire the pins on the pump as follows. Get two wires long enough to reach from the battery to the VP44. Install an INSULATED ¼ inch female spade connector onto one end of each wire. Use a set of dykes and cut the flat part and one of the "curls" away from each spade connector to leave one "curl" , which will be about the right size to go over the pin on the pump. Connect one INSULATED connector to pin 7 on the pump, which is the pin on the BOTTOM row of the socket on the Injection Pump, closest to the engine, to preferably fused (10 amp is fine) positive battery power in the PDC (Fuse box under the hood), or directly to the positive battery terminal if you like to take risks!.

Connect the other INSULATED connector to the pin directly above the previous connection, the top row of pins, the one closest to the engine, and attach the other end to battery ground. Now try to start the engine and if it doesn’t start, you absolutely positively 100% need an Injection Pump! If the engine starts this way but NOT with the big plug installed on the pump, you know there is something in the harness or CAN bus wiring to the ECM telling or causing the engine to not start. Call me for help if this is the case.

99TurboRamMan 02-26-2018 12:12 PM

She will start up! No acceleratation. Will it still start with a bad injection pump?

jrs_dodge_diesel 02-27-2018 03:39 PM

Your injection pump is good:thumbsup:. The hot wire test only gives the pump 12 Volt power to run the computer mounted on the pump, and so long as the pump is good, it will start and idle only, nothing else. If the pump was bad, it would not start at all.

Your issues lie elsewhere now. Either wiring harness/CANBUS problems, the ECM, or both.

johnh 02-27-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel (Post 3344718)
Your injection pump is good:thumbsup:. The hot wire test only gives the pump 12 Volt power to run the computer mounted on the pump, and so long as the pump is good, it will start and idle only, nothing else. If the pump was bad, it would not start at all.

Your issues lie elsewhere now. Either wiring harness/CANBUS problems, the ECM, or both.

maybe TPS???

99TurboRamMan 02-27-2018 06:55 PM

Thanks! I'll keep you posted on what I find out!

jrs_dodge_diesel 02-28-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by johnh (Post 3344721)
maybe TPS???

Highly unlikely it's the TPS. The codes and symptoms do not match the problems that a faulty TPS will cause.

Originally Posted by 99TurboRamMan (Post 3344726)
Thanks! I'll keep you posted on what I find out!

Give Chip over at Blue Chip Diesel a call. He specializes in VP44 injection systems. And this is one of the unique scenarios where the pump is good but there is still a 1688 and 1689 code.

https://www.bluechipdiesel.com/

99TurboRamMan 02-28-2018 08:01 PM

Will do!! Thanks Again!!

torquefan 02-28-2018 09:58 PM

Would the truck start and run (although poorly) before you did the test? If so, you may not be proving anything by hot wiring the pump. The way I read it, the truck has to be in a no-start condition before the test in order for the test to be valid. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

99TurboRamMan 03-01-2018 06:59 PM

The truck will start and run.