24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Emissions Test - Colorado or Others

Old 09-08-2003, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions Test - Colorado or Others

Have to get my first Colorado emissions test done, and I have a question. I have an EZ with the pins on level 3 and am wondering if any of you have had any test problems set up this way. I called a few of the test shops and got answers ranging from it would pass no problem, to bring it in stock, with the majority feeling it would be no problem. Don't really feel like taking it off, but if I fail the test and have to take it off and re-test, it's another test and charge. Truck is running perfect, BHAF is in good shape, what do you think?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:47 PM
LE

Re:Emissions Test - Colorado or Others

Not sure what the Colorado emmission standards are, and how stringent they are. Here in Utah, I have seen people actually use a Comp box to detune their stuff, in other words put a Comp on 1x1. Apparently this defuels up to a certain point which allows them to pass the test, with injectors and other mods. A little alcohol may not hurt either. Not sure how feasable that is, but as long as the mix was low it probably would not hurt. You would have to watch any rubber / viton seals as they are prone to dry up and crack when exposed to methanol. I'm sure somebody else will chime in and let you know what to do and how to do it. If all else fails, you con disconnect the EZ box and have it tested in stock form. Good luck and let us know how it works. LE
Old 09-08-2003, 08:18 PM

LE, now you've got me thinking about something else. Could be that my wastegete has a slight mod too. I can easily hit 30 psi boost at WOT. Do you think pinning the EZ to level one may do the trick? Or maybe the additional boost will just take care of everything........? I think I'll use the alcohol to celebrate with afterword. ;D
Old 09-08-2003, 09:06 PM
LE

If you can hit 30PSI of boost, using just an EZ in Colorado (5,000 + feet) I would say you have a turnbuckle or Turbomaster on your truck. Can't think of anything else that would allow you to get that much boost at that elevation. Good for you. That just may do the trick. BTW, don't drink methanol of you like the concept of sight. That stuff will make you blind. Let me know how it works out.............LE
Old 09-09-2003, 08:05 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Fillerup:
I just had my 01 tested a couple months ago here in Colorado. I had just an ez on at the time and it passed no problem. I asked how it did and they said it was a little high but well within the specs.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:19 AM

Barry - Just what I was looking for! My appointment is in 1 hour, so with your info, I'm going to leave things where they're at, unless you reply back telling me to set the EZ to pin set one. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 AM

Back from testing and it passed. Left everything alone with no problem. Truck blew some smoke initially, but the tech said it was just needing a good blowout. Thanks LE and BarryG for your thoughts on the subject. I am going to post another topic about the dyno numbers. Thanks again!