24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

eating oil and dripping

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy eating oil and dripping

I got a 99 2500 its a 6.1 and I notice im consuming good amout of oil and some oil leaking very little from a tube hanging down in front of engine and when truck warms up I get allot of smoak from the tube as weel the rubber tube connects to a black box thats attached to front engine cover and ideas guys I just baught the truck and the board and sleeved motor only has like I think 30 k on it
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rolling,
Some of us call that the 'active rust prevention system'. That is the tube to drain fumes etc from the crankcase. The original setup will make a mess of your truck and will greatly contribute to your radiator getting plugged up and becoming quite ineffective. Often times there is a plastic bottle at the end of the tub that is supposed to catch the oil that comes out with the fumes.
Do a quick search on here for 'puke bottle', there is lots of reading. My truck, like most others on here, I have put a new hose on the crankcase vent and I run the hose up and along the top of the engine and then down towards the ground at the back of the engine on the drivers side.
Our engines all have a bit of crankcase pressure because diesels are such high compression that some of the pressure is going to sneak by the piston rings. If the rings were tight enough to prevent all blowby, then the darn engine wouldnt be able to turn over.

So, the oil and blowby is normal and most everyone on here will recommend you ditch the puke bottle and reroute the hose to somewhere where it won't do harm like plugging up your radiator.

BTW - feel free to totally ignore this suggestion but you are going to really confuse people when you call your engine a 6.1 On one of your first posts a while back you explained that it is a bored out 5.9 so I get what you mean but that post is eventually going to fall off the bottom of the board and no one is going to know what you mean when you say your truck is a 6.1L Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol thanks man just wanted to make sure people now its a 6.1 maybe beeing a larger engine would be a reason for eatin oil bc of none upgrade of a certian part or something so y would I be consumin a good amount of oil iv heard about posibble clog in the crank case breather or possibly a vacum leak what do u think
Old 10-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by rollingcoal1989
Lol thanks man just wanted to make sure people now its a 6.1 maybe beeing a larger engine would be a reason for eatin oil bc of none upgrade of a certian part or something so y would I be consumin a good amount of oil iv heard about posibble clog in the crank case breather or possibly a vacum leak what do u think
Only if they bored it and used the original pistons...

Fix seals first, then worry about blow by etc. .. a healthy engine won't push oil out, but it will leak by bad seals/gaskets.