24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Question

Ok so I know this has been beat to death, but I am so close to loosing my clutch that I need to know what to do.<br><br>First of all, I want a clutch that can hold 120hsp injectors. By the way this is for a 99 dually. I also want to go a comp box and wire. From there I am looking at another turbo, and down the line maybe twins. I also want to pull a couple times of year at the local events. What clutch do I need and still hold all the ponies? Any help is appreciated!!
Old 12-01-2002, 07:36 PM

Re:Clutch Question

Read my sig, for the South bend clutch. I can't remember the web site, but I know someone will, or do a search on the net and you will find them. Give them a call!!! I love mine!<br><br>Kimrey
Old 12-01-2002, 08:04 PM

If you want to pull at all, a SB won't cut it. Don't mess around call www.enterpriseengine.com this clutch will hold everything you can throw at it, or pull behind it, including 45,000#+ sleds.<br><br>Later, Rob
Old 12-02-2002, 04:40 AM

Hired Gun, You know were to go, Black Mountain Diesel<br><br>Tom and Will put my South Bend 13&quot; Con Fe in Saturday and it's awesome. <br><br>Tom will hook you up. <br><br>DB
Old 12-02-2002, 10:40 AM

I know where to go. I just wanted to see if anyone had done this. Some people think the South Bend will slip alot with what I want to do. I will call Will today and get some prices. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:42 AM

I talked to doug at Enterprise engine and he said thay can make single disk pulling clutch that is good for a couple of pulls a year for around 1,000 bucks. That is the clutch I'm looking at.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:03 AM

Thanks dodgeman01. I want to make the right decision the first time around. I dont want to be out another pile of money in the near future.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 AM

Call Will but i'm pretty sure that southbend won't warranty against the sled. I personally like their clutches too but if you want to sled pull and care about a warranty i don't think they are the way to go.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:56 PM

Ok DarrelB. Tell me how wonderful it is. I just talked to Will and he told me about the warranty issue. He says its an awesome clutch. You have had time to drive one around. How is it. How does it feel. Anything like a stock. What?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to step in here if you don't mind. Our clutches are not designed for sled pulling. We will be releasing our sled pulling clutch for the upcoming season. However, there are two ways to play the game. If you are in it to win and beat the big boys you must first build your truck to do so and a pulling clutch is needed. Be ready for major exspence because to play the game you will need deep pockets as I am sure that ANY of the people doing it will testify to. Now, if you want to be a novist and do it once in a while all you have to remember is...5sp 2 low, 6sp 3 low and get off the pedal. Any well built clutch will handle this. I have even seen the stock clutch survive for a while. It is all up to the driver...if it is not designed to be a slipper clutch DON'T SLIP IT for an extended period of time. That being said, guy's, Gene AKA (sled puller) has done that and been there and knows what he is talking about. He is very sharp and can help you get to that level if that is what you are striving for. We have a bunch of people in Utah (even though we don't warrenty for it) that are using our FE clutch for sled pulling. I tell them no and they say yes. They get off the clutch and let the power do the rest. One guy won the over all points for the year and put over 60 pulls on the same FE clutch. Ken Jones of Diesel Performance has over 30 pulls on his. His phone # is 1-801-791-2328. I would suggest a call to him if you intend on useing our clutch for this type of treatment. To put it in a nutshell...to play the game right (to win) this is not the clutch for you. For now if you intend on doing a large amount of pulls I would suggest the Mitchell or Haisly (PULLING) clutch. Do not let someone talk you into a clutch by saying it is good for a couple of pulls a year. That is someone trying to get the sale and will tell you when you burn it up that you were not pulling right.

I hope this helps, ask questions and make the right choice. Most of all be happy with the choice you make, that is what makes these boards so awesome, if you make the wrong choice you only have yourself to blame.

Peter
Old 12-02-2002, 09:34 PM

Thanks South Bend Clutch. It is valuable info. I have talked to lots of people in the past few weeks and they say the same things. They say it is good for a few pulls a year if you do it right. You just can't put a beginner behind the wheel and say drive. I can't run with the deep pockets people. I have two of the worst paying jobs in the country. Teaching and Farming. Both are going to cause a drinking problem. Hehehehehehehehe. . I do want to run three pulls this year though. Rest of the time I pull a 25ft Corn pro around with fertilizer and equipment. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:55 PM

Hired Gun,<br><br>All's I can say is Wow. ;D<br><br>The clutch is awesome. The pedal feel is lighter than stock and the ingaugement is great. 8) It's going to take a little getting used to but I think I'm really gonna like it in about a month. It might be a bit grabby backing up a loaded trailer in High side so I'll be using low a bit more, but this spring I'm going to purchase a 2low kit to make this easier.<br><br>I researched clutches for about a year to find the right one for my driving style and I'm sure I found it. 8) It was a toss up between two, the Mitchell dualdisc pulling clutch and the South Bend 13&quot; Fe. The deciding factor was the anyoing chattering the pulling clutch makes. : That noise just drives me nucking futts. <br><br>Peter man, you make one awesome clutch. :P
Old 12-02-2002, 09:56 PM

I have had all the above clutches mentioned and I will have to say that the SBC is one HE!! of a clutch but as I was dishing out the money for a good street clutch I realized that I wanted to sled pull. I looked into a Haisley clutch but didn't like the design as you have to hang weights on the forks when you pull and if you want it aggresive and to drive it on the street you need to remove some weights to have better driveability, to me that is too much work. I tried the single disc Mitchell clutch and did not like it as it was too grabby for daily use. I now have a Mitchell Dual Disc clutch and the streetability is outstanding and if I am running around town and someone ask me if I want to go to a pull all I have to do is drive on the track and hook no messing with weights or the such.<br><br>Ask member DarrellB he was @ Lanesville and I pulled a pulling truck there and unhooked the trailer and took my truck down and pulled it with no adjustments. Got third there got beat by another Enterprise truck and a cheating Ford dumping water to make the sled slide better.<br><br>If I was looking for a clutch that will work as a daily user and didn't want to do it again I would go with Mitchells Dual Disc and there warranty is killer just like SBC. I broke a floater plate and they were backed up with work and got me in within a two day notice

Quick Reply: Clutch Question